Another Pollution Hits The Don

J

john ledger

Sheffield Star today reported big pollution on Don around Magna Centre with both river and canal polluted.Suspect oil the cause and so serious boat traffic has been diverted

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck John, I hope it's not as bad as has been reported!

A fine is not enough!

colsmiff

Reaction score
This is getting beyond a joke, there wont be any northern rivers left to fish soon.
The Dane, Weaver (almost), Rother and now the Don in the space of two weeks.

J

john ledger

DB
They are talking thousands of fish killed but lets hope its only talk

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'm really not happy about this. I'd like to get the people respoinsible and pour waste all over their houses, gardens and families and see how they like it.

Beecy

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but there WILL be a next time. Although much of south yorkshires heavy industry has gone to the wall, the Don in Sheffield & Rotherham is still lined with many factories and accidents will always happen.

The Don runs by the factory where I work at neepsend, I walk along the stretch most lunchtimes. Some days it is perfectly clear and I can watch shoals of roach, or the odd trout taking flies. Other days you can not see through the multi-coloured sheen of oil on the top.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Beecy, I'm not having a pop, honest!
You are in a position to police the Don, every day!

Get hold of the hotline number and report it! Please!

This has got to stop! And it's us! who can make it happen!

We've got to look after it, or it will be gone!

Kick Ass and cut their nuts off!

Hmmmm, chill out D.B take another tablet!

I

Ian Cloke

Has anybody heard where the pollution originated??

It's the first I've heard of this, I'll ask around at a couple of tackle shops in the morning.

The fine (IF there is one) wont replace the stock that has been lost. The fish are all ages, the normal restocking only pays for young fish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there something more sinister happening in the nortwest? Most probably not, but you can't help but wonder.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Just picked up on this thread.

Has anyone phoned the EA?

Not that you will get much of a response but you have to do it anyway. They are totally pathetic being another Blair Qwango of course.

The pollution is probably oil. I noticed oil slicks in Rotherham the other day, but there was no sign of fish deaths.

And where are the oleophillic booms on this river? Some years ago I mentioned the possibility of putting oil adsorbing booms on certain parts of the Don to an official in the EA. I was in the business of selling a remarkable and very low cost media at the time, but it fell on deaf ears.

These booms are part and parcel of precautions taken in heavily populated areas next to rivers in the USA. Run off from roads, carwashes, factories and other things puts large quantities of oily water into watercourses. There are very strict laws in the USA preventing this.

I could go on and on about the prevention of hydrocarbons getting into rivers that is now standard procedure in the USA, but I will not bore you.

What we need is something similar in the UK, but whilst we have the likes of Blair in power it is not going to happen.

Let's see what the report produces. I will get onto the EA Monday morning.

T

Tony Rocca

Big problem with oil wastes, and others, at the moment, disposal costs have tripled due to new legislation, makes it all the more tempting for people to dispose of such things illegally.
If the culprits are found they will say its an accident of course.
The Don will have a rocky ride for a few years yet I fear but it will win in the end.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ron, you can't blame Blair for everything that goes wrong on this planet!

I have told you already! They are all the same!

John, I apologise for this!

Wake up Ron! Stop banging on about Blair!

Whoever it is, whatever it is, it will always happen! Unless caring anglers like US! Make it stop!

It's not politics, it's down to US! to kick ass and sort it out, nobody else is gonna bother!

Arghhhhhhh!

Good luck guys, I truly hope your river aint Phuqd!

J

john ledger

Correct Tony and thats what i was going to say.The fellow i mentioned on the other thread was depositing 45gallon drums of soluble oil down a drain with fed a stream into the Don. Reported this took his number and yes false number plates.
In the Eastwood area taxi drivers have been found to be depositing old engine oil down drains but you do not report these people do you and you know where i am coming from on this one. Know thats true as a friend of mine was a manager on the council when it was happening
Calling the agency is at times a waste of time as its normally the PC brigade who like the police turn up too late.
Take a walk on the Rother at Bow Bridge and look at the far bank above the Hovis plant,its full of bedspreads old fridges etc

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

OK, I will go down the Don tomorrow morning and have a look.

J

john ledger

We should wait and see if the amount of fish reported killed is true as a couple of hundred looks like thousands to some people but there again one dead fish is one too many in my eyes

Beecy

Reaction score
Too right Tony, the Don was there before industry, and will still be there when industry (and oil!) is no more, which may be sooner than we think!

DB, I know your not having a pop.

When evrr i see oil on the don I do ring the hotline (admittedly not every time-only if it is worse than "usual"), But what can the EA do?, they can't go door to door asking "excuse me, but you hav'nt chucked a barrel of oil down the drain by any chance have you?"

Ron is right, what is needed is some form of barrier on drains that flow directly into rivers.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sorry Ron!
I didn't mean to take it out on you!
Shit! It's time these bastards got nailed for their actions!
Arghhhhhhh!
Angry from Bristol!