Water Pollutions

• Thread starter Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Now EA Tony Rocca has said on another thread that the fines if the EA can get it that far are derisory, and he?s right if you look on their site at what polluters get find.

Now let me run this one past you all, particularly the Legal professionals.

In the USA victims testaments are taken into account by judges in most case as I understand it when sentencing.

In the UK there is talk form politicians about this happening here, but as yet it isn?t. So could we as victims make a written submission to the courts about what effect the loss of fishing amenity means to us as an individual and/or collectively through a club, association, etc on those waters, and there seems to be a lot happening at the moment.
If such testaments were made, would it have any impact on the sentencing and punishment handed out?
Legal Pros comments please!

The logistics of when such statement would need to be submitted and who would do them could be worked out I?m sure, if this would up the anti on the polluters and their pockets.

Any comments?

T

Tony Rocca

Phil,
Firstly, I left the EA 4 years ago.

Most pollution offences dont get to Crown Court where the penalties can be high, the Magistrates who usually dish out fines are limited to stautary maximums depending on the particular offence. Its rubbish.

I

Ian Cloke

you make a VERY good point Phil, I hope someone in the know will give an answer.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fines are fine, but it's always the corporate body that pays the fine.

Look at the Hertfordshire rail disaster. ?10million and just over ?3million in fines, but to the corporate bodies.

What it requires is prison sentences for the directors of companies causing disasters whether they cause human death/injury or destruction of the environment.

I can tell you of a company in Belgium, two of whose directors were held in prison without charges and NO communication other than with solictors for 3 months just because they hadn't completed the correct paperwork for dumping waste.

Try that for size all you would be polluters, murderers and suicide-bomb supporters!

M

madpiker

in the uk there is talk of it happening here,but as yet it hasn`t.OH WHAT A SURPRISE!

T

Tony Rocca

There is already provision in UK legislation for individual employees, or directors, to be held responsible for pollution incidents or waste disposal offences.
It isnt often used, but two rubbish dumpers were recently sent to prison for offences in Cheterfield.