Another Victim

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the recent bad news of another one of our brothers getting his complete tackle stolen while bivvied up, I thought this would be a good opportunity to have a thrash about and see if we can come up with some ideas to help lessen this unhappy occurrence happening to you. This goes for all types of specimen hunters.

While I do have complete sympathy with anybody who this happens to, should part of the blame be laid at our own feet? Sorry, but my answer has to be yes.
This kind of thing only strengthens my resolve to put a stop to or in the very least, make other anglers aware of the dangers of sleeping on the job. This surely has to be the first point that has to be hammered home.

This is not a rant, nor is it about what we should do if we catch the rat bags at it. How can we make it a safer environment for ourselves spend a night or two on the banks in relative safety?
Any suggestions lads?

davestocker

Reaction score
Does fishing while you're asleep actually count as fishing? On a positive note, perhaps the ingestion of Amphetamine Sulphate should be made compulsory for all night fishers!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Being cogniscent of the problems of tackle theft at the bankside, particularly when inside the bivvy, (for whatever reason) my solution these days is:

I usually fish until about an hour or two after dark.
Then, I break down my rods which go inside the bivvy while I catch a few hours sleep after having made something to eat.
About an hour or so before dawn I set-up again and fish through until about mid morning.

This way I find that I can be sure that; no one will steal my kit as well, as ensuring that I get a little sleep.

I don't think I miss out too much on those odd 'bonus' fish that may come along while I am in the bivvy and I also cannot be accused of "sleeping while fishing" which to me is an important point.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's a fresh outlook that I have only seen posted a couple of times on here Peter.

I can be a bit of a loner when it comes to my fishing, but more recently I have teemed up with one or two lads off this forum, especially if it means fishing into dark.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A mobile phone is a must have. Along with the number of the nearest police station to where you are intending to fish.

Try to park your car out of sight if you are out in the wilds, or park near to houses leaving no visible clues in the car that you are an angler.

W

Wolfman Woody

Protection is easy and you can sleep all you want.

All you have to do is set up a defensive perimeter with some pungy sticks, bouncing betties and claymore mines.

Not only do you take out the thieves, but also snooping bailiffs who want to confiscate your ticket.

W

Wolfman Woody

On a slightly more serious note -

Allways get the postcode of the fishery you are going to. It helps police and ambulance drivers should you need them.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I dont think some of the lakes out in the wilds have postcodes do they

Simon K

Reaction score
What part of the country was this theft in, Baz?

P

paul williams 2

Baz.......sorry state init.....but i can't agree that the mobile would help.....if the police can't get to house breakins what chance have we got with a 999 call saying i'm fishing out in the sticks and being robbed?

I have always loved to fish alone, and nighttime is special....sometimes i have frightened the *&^te outa myself with natural happenings but thats all been part and parcel, but this sort of thing none os can beat alone......there are waters that we should only fish as a group.....bloody sad!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Do what I do, a cavalry sabre in my quiver.

Swordsy carries a razor sharp machete.

I've always fancied a sword stick. They look so harmless but when you draw it it will put the shits up anyone.

P

paul williams 2

I decided long ago to take the bastards with me Ron........

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've always thought that a shortish bow with say half a dozen arrows in your quiver would also be a good idea. Make sure the arrow heads are nice and barbed, then the ba...ds can't get them out if you miss a vital spot.

Bows and arrows are not illegal by the way.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was down south somewhere simon, but it happens everywhere mate.

I still think a mobile phone is a good thing to have Paul. Take tonight for instance, A few of us went out to a water on a call out, weighed the situation up and decided to call for police back up. they were there in five minuets litterally. Not only that, they offered to tag along with us to our next destination as it was a bad area. And all this help on a busy Saturday night.

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it's good to have the choice.

P

paul williams 2

crossbow is more of a close quarter weapon tho Ron......and fairly silent bar the screams, and even that can be sorted with a "lucky" shot........i only had it for the huge rats that pestered me your honour!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Only problem with crossbows Brummie is that they take too long to re-load.

I did quite a bit of archery years ago and got quite adept at it. I could let loose 6 arrows fairly accurately with my 50lb recurve composite bow in about 15 seconds.

The beauty about archery is that an arrow shot from even a modest ladies bow has more penetrating power up to about 30 yards than a .38 special revolver bullet.

Make sure you wear an adequate wrist guard when you shoot a bow. People have been cut through to the veins before today and we don't want anyone hurt with a bow do we?

:eek:)

P

paul williams 2

Baz,
you are right, and i must confess the mobile is a good tool and a comfort to have......still prefer the old fashioned "in yer own mind" frights that used to be all we had to worry about as apposed to ****heads on the prowl tho!......and i think that Ron and Swordsy have the right idea...........cut the barstewards down and then phone the police and take yer chances.

I will be reling on you lot to say i was of sound mind and would never have dreamt of such actions normally........now all we need is someone to say you lot are of sound mind!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

5 minutes wating for police back up. Thats much too long. I could get 3 hoodies in about 10 seconds, or they could get me if I was not carrying a defence weapon.

That would be a bloody good idea by the way. Take out a hoodie a week!! We could start a club.

Capture say 10 hoodies, shackle their legs, give them 10 seconds start and then hunt them in the old fashioned way. Halberds, swords and bows.

What great sport it would be.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way, Quicks of Waterlooville in Hampshire are doing an anglers special.

50 inch recurve 45lb bow, all the other kit and wrist guard plus even an arrow puller for ?175.00 The package includes 24 arrows, all with barbed hunting heads and special fletchings. You can order this lot on line with next day delivery. I might decide to get my anti-hoodie kit in time for the barbel weekend.

The problem is that most likely no hoodies will come near so I won't get the chance to blood my outfit.

You can look up Quicks Archery on Google by the way.

I'd certainly like to try out my arrow puller on a hoodie by shooting him in the ass and then see how he yelps when I pull out the barbed arrow.

:eek:]