nice perch/big pike

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Yesterday i was fishing the trent in a new spot for me, fishing for perch.
I hooked into a decent perch and low and behold it was grabbed by a big pike well into double figures, Now this perch was 1lb 15ozs and the pike didnt let go until i bought both fish near to the net where the pike must of seen my ugly mug and thought better of it.
Ive had quite a few pike snatching roach and other small fish whilst reeling in but never a fish of that size, Anybody out there had similar experiences?
Thankfully the perch swam off strongly but had two puncture marks which i treated with klinic before releasing.
Cheers lads.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I had a Perch of 3lb 13oz back in March and that was followed by a Pike!

Also last year I had a Chub of about 3.5lb taken and ragged to bits by a real monster. I couldn't see the Pike in teh peaty coloured water but it must have been absolutely huge the way the Chub was being twisted from side to side.

M

madpiker

october the 1st 1997,i was bringing my first pike of the season to the net quite easily when it took off on an unstoppable run,it then stopped scrapping and came to the net easily.when we took the 7lbish pike out of the net,we noticed that its entrails were hanging out of two huge gashes that had gone all the way through the skin and muscle.we put the guts back and and closed the gashes with a bit of superglue then we returned it hoping that it may survive.a couple of months later,the EA elecrofished a 36lb pike in the same area.
by the way,several months later,a lad went into the local tackle shop saying that he had caught a pike with two huge freshly healed scars on its flank.it looks like doctor madpikers treatment wotked!

M

madpiker

ps,a couple of years earlier,someone that i know had two tench of around 4lbs apiece taken from the same area as above.

P

paul williams 2

Bloody ell Madpiker....if a 7lber can put that much weight on with a bit of superglue???????? ;)

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Fascinating, It seems a fish has to get too a certain size before its safe from old essox.
Seeing that pike has made me get the pike rods out for the first time this season.
The only problem is what size bait to use!!!

M

madpiker

i missed out the bit that i meant to say.ie:we think that the 7 was grabbed by the 36!!!!!

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Ask Martin my nephew about pike striking at his fish. On one of the reservoirs we fish it happens about 3-4 times every time we fish it, and they always take em? under his feet. He sh!ts himself every time. He had one fish of about 15 lb become airborne less than 3 yards away form him. Never seen him move as fast in my life.

?Uncle Phil, uncle Phil it was as big as me!? Yours truly RATFLHAO!

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Too late now madpiker ive bought a shed load of superglue to make my fish bigger!

Phil you've gotta admit mate that its a bit scary when a pike strikes at your feet especially when your spinning and had nothing all day and all of a sudden a pike shoots out under your feet!!
Ive lost count how many times ive yanked the spinner out of the water by pure instinct only to curse myself of what a t**t ive been!!
Funny i never get a second chance when i try and persuade the pike to have another go after my silly mistake!
all the best.

M

madpiker

it aint the glue that makes em heavier,it`s the lead tube that it comes in!

William Burns

Reaction score
Hi guys,I was hoping you could help me! Being a passionate angler a dream of mine has always to go and experience pike fishing but being a loner with freinds who don't like fishing then I haven't had no one to teach me & I know it's risky on your own.I don't drive but willing to travel if you would be able to share your experience with me.THANK YOU