Reservoir Dogs

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A good write up Paul.
You seem to use more or less the same method and baiting technique as I do when I am after bream.
One of the problems that I have is to hold the bream there for any length of time when they eventually arrive.
I don't think I am spooking the fish, but more to the fact that I don't get enough bait down in the first place.
And should I be feeding a wider area to make them hunt about more.
Do you find that the shoal or shoals swim about the lake in any particular direction? ie clockwise/anti clockwise.
There is a decent bream water in Cheshire which is a day ticket (Boundary) I know Ed and Graham have fished it in the past, could be a place for a fish in next year if you fancy it.

I

Ian Cloke

Good write up Paul:)

Baz, a friend of mine (who was a Barnsley Black) allways says, When fishing for bream, don't feed a plate feed the table. What he means is you can't keep a shoal of bream interested for long, if you are too exact with your feeding, spread it out a bit, so all the fish get some. Then you'l hold a shoal for a lot longer ;-)

J

john conway

Good to read about bream, makes a nice change form Barbel and has got me in the mood to visit the Lune again when the salmon lads have packed up. Your rig set up and baiting regime is exactly the same as that which I use on the Lune but even when the eels have gone I still can't use maggots or worms, Tommy Ruff puts pay to anything remotely alive or meaty.
Ian ?When fishing for bream, don't feed a plate feed the table.? Couldn?t agree more.
Paul, I agree don?t risk striking at those initial liners, tweaks and twitches, wait until the old dogs pull the tip all the way around.
If the liners persist I?ll sometimes shorten my cast a wee bit to bring me more towards my side of the baited area and pick up the bream without dragging them through the shoal.

Look forward to hearing more of your exploits on the big reservoirs

Frank Hartnell

Reaction score
Great article and good pix. Yes, bream are contrary creatures all right.

One place I fish, multiple captures are unheard of - don't think there are that many in there. You get one and whether you retain it or not, getting another is incredibly rare. They're not monsters, my best there is seven and a half, but they don't half do your head in trying to get more than one in a session. Feed a table, I've fed a house for these buggers and tried the opposite. Nobody else is getting them in numbers either, thank goodness, or I would be miffed.

Casting outside the feed area, generally speaking,when breaming, does get the bonus fish now and then.

I'll have to get on the Trent and have a go for those ninepounders sharpish as I expect they'll drift off somewhere soon for the winter.

Unless anyone knows different?

J

john conway

You got me going Paul, so I went on the Lune last night and managed just one big bream 8lb plus. I say 8lb plus because my digital scales went on the blink and the problem with big river bream is they look very big for their weight. Only had one bite all night and no liners. I?m sure they haven?t shoaled up yet but when they do 5 or 6 fish is a good session especially when the smallest fish is likely to be 7lb plus.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Paul
Would this res be of interest to a bald, short piano playing megastar?

P

Paul Christie 2

My login seems to have disappeared for some strange reason, so just had to register again!

Baz, I tend to feed a fairly wide area and would prefer to do so with this style of bream fishing. That happens quite easily, because it's pretty difficult to feed with a catapult at range, without spreading it about abit.

When I've fished some of the big Irish loughs and the recommended method was to introduced feed via a swimfeeder only, I am not sure why, but the best results have been when I've feed in a very, very tight area?

I've never really established any pattern to their patrol as they appear to push in from deeper areas of the water and move out again. I 've never sighted them to the extent that you can see where they came from and went to. And yes I'd be interested in the bream fish in.

John, nice to see you were tempted into a bream session.

Blunderer, yes, he would definately be interested!!

P

Paul Christie 2

Email address is on there now.

Baz, yes please, keep me informed.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will do Paul, I work quite close so can get all the details instantly.
Night fishing is allowed also. And good parking.

K

Kevin Pilgrim

Paul,I read your article with great interest as this has been my first season targeting bream.I`ve been fishing Alton reservoir near Ipswich in Essex which is over 60 miles away from where i live.I`ve managed to catch on all but one visit,but the biggest problems I`ve encountered have been pre baiting (because of the distance i have to travel),finding any other anglers to talk to and ask for tips and advice,and only being able to fish day sessions as night fishing is banned.The odd anglers i have spoken to tell me that the roach in the reservoir are now making a comeback after virtually disappearing about five years ago and that some fish are topping the 2lb mark.( I haven`t seen any and unfortunately haven`t caught any either).Fish location has been my biggest problem,the only time i`ve seen fish rolling the`re about 100 yards out, way beyond my casting abilities.If any of you Guys out there fish Alton, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.