insurance

M

matt thomas

in light of the thread started by Baz and another in bait box by jinxs about tackle theft on the bank is there a special policy that can be bought to cover this?
will my insurance company contents insurance cover it?
if anyone has especially taken out seperate cover then how much was it?
i did a mental tally up of the stuff i take night fishing and it was around 2500quid if you include all the terminal stuff,easy pickings aren't we?

Paul B

Reaction score
Matt,only cover i've seen advertised is on a flier in the AT; ?2500 cover inc unattended vehicle costs ?6.70 a month (coarse fishing). Says in the flier that "a large proportion of household policies exclude sports eqpt and sports injury cover" so check your home policy as there's a chance you may be in the small proportion that do give cover.
info number 08704 022 157, company is E&L insurance services ltd, po box 100, york, YO26 9SZ. I'll bring the flier to the fish-in at w'end.

M

matt thomas

ok cheers for that Paul,i have seen the advert in AT before,will have to dig out my policy from zurich and see what it covers

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am covered on my house insurance under sporting goods. But it has to be stolen from my house.

I hope you don't mind me sidetracking your topic Matt, but I wonder how many insurance claims for 'stolen' tackle are genuine?

alan

Reaction score
there seem to be a few companies that insure fresh water gear, but i cant find any that cover sea stuff.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I work for CIS and I am not plugging them, however fishing tackle can be covered by extending the contents section by adding personal possessions.
They do a standard section to cover sports equipment(eg fishing gear) upto ?1000. If you need more than that you can do it under the specified personal possessions policy.
This covers the goods whilst away from home. One of my clients smashed several of his pole sections whilst playing a large carp, they paid for the replacement sections less his ?50 excess.
I'm sure other reputable companys do the same, just make sure you ask the right questions and ask for a specimen policy before proceeding so that you can read the small print.

Paul B

Reaction score
this one no good to you either.doesn't mention sea gear; only coarse, match and game.

njb51

Reaction score
Point 17, Section 3 could be quite interesting if it happened.

"17. Equipment lost during night fishing unless attended at all times."

Could you make a claim and try and argue you were attending your rods if you were asleep in your bivvy?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be very difficult to prove that you were not asleep, because you would have heard or seen something if you were awake. Therefore your rods would be classed as unatended.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think its to cover the guy who nips down the pub or take-a-way leaving his gear on the bank. This does happen quite a lot.

Even if you are asleep you are still attending to your rods. Also you would just say you were to scared to come out of your bivvy.

That is unless you are Baz and then you have a reputation to maintain.

A freind had a beachcaster stolen from his car while fishing and that was replaced on the household insurance. The question that needs answering is Fishing a sport or a hobby. If its a hobby its covered by your house insurance.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even if you are asleep you are still attending to your rods.

wow that's amazing Bryan mate, I knew carping was easy, but that's amazing. (o

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
So your not in attandance when your asleep in your house Baz. I don't think they drop the standard when the queen is asleep then raise it when she awakes.

njb51

Reaction score
"Even if you are asleep you are still attending to your rods. Also you would just say you were to scared to come out of your bivvy."

Would they go for that Bryan? How can you attend your rods while your asleep?

And would they go for the fact that you were too scared to try and stop them? Surly they would say you should have at least gone out to try and stop them.

Sorry, not being difficult, just trying to look at it from their point of view to warn others of the dangers of insurance policies.

njb51

Reaction score
I imagine being asleep in your house would be a different matter as it would be under entry into a secure establishment using force or unauthorised access. The fact the you were asleep probably wouldn't come into it.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Im not 100% certain that insurance companies are our best friends except when they are taking our premiums. I have just received my renewal form and decided to go through the small print and it transpires that everything in my house is covered providing it is virtually impossible for it to be burgled. All windows to be securely locked all doors to have 5 lever deadlocks(whatever they are) and so on and so on. I tseems to me you are covered providing you dont have to claim.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
This is true I had 3 burgalries and 2 atempted goes in 3 months at beginnig of the year. I can not get any insurance now. They were glad to take my premiums for the last 15 years though.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The difference is bryan that when I am in my house, I don't leave my rods outside. They are in the house with me.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Unless there in the Garage which is outside on private property just like outside a bivvy on private property.