Flyfishing near Canterbury ?

V

Vignot Vignot

Hi all,

I'm a french flyfisher. On may 2006, I'll make a flyfishing trip to Scotland and, going back to France, I will stop and visit a friend in Canterbury.
As I'll have all my fishing tackle with me, I wonder if there are some good spots to flyfish by there, in rivers or in the sea too.

Thanks for your help,
Vignot

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Dear Vignot,

If you have access to a car then Bewl Reservoir is not far away from Canterbury.

Fishing is from boats or bank for Rainbows and Browns averaging over 2lbs.

Deffinately worth a try at this time of year as the fish concentrate on feeding heavily prior to winter.

Regards

Richard

Vignot

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer Richard.

Searching on the net, I've found informations about reservoirs but I'm not a big fan of them. I prefer to fish rivers or the sea with "native" fishs.

It seems that there isn't trout by there, but I should find chubs, perchs, pikes in rivers and bass in the sea. No ?

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
There will be bass in the sea but they are not spread evenly across all locations and are difficult to track down. Perhaps the sea fishing forum will be able to help on the bass idea.

As for Rivers I'm afraid I don't know of any near Canterbury.

Apologies

Richard

R

Robin Higgins

Hi Vignot

There are lots of fish in the river around Canterbury. The River Stour runs right through the town centre and it's fishing very well this year for chub. Best of all it's free fishing, although casting could be a bit tricky due to the overhanging trees etc.

If you decide to fish it let me know how you get on - I've always meant to fish the river using the fly rod.

Robin

Vignot

Reaction score
Hi Robin,

My English is not perfect and I'm not sure to understand what do you mean by "it's free fishing". There is no licence or tax to fish there ?
What is the law to fish in UK ?

Anyway, thanks for your answer and if my project goes on, I'll let you know when I come to Canterbury, maybe we could met ?

And as someone I can't remember said "If it swims, it will take a fly", so go and try !

Vignot

S

Shrek

In the England, you have to have a Rod Licence, issued from the Environmental Agency and available from all Post Offices, to legally fish, otherwise you face prosecution if caught. Once you have this, you could go and fish the stretch of river in Canterbury that Robin has mentioned, without having to pay anymore money.

Otherwise, you have to pay for your fishing rights to whatever water you then fish, be it river or stillwater. Day Ticket prices, as these are commonly referred to, vary in cost from ?3 to ?250 depending on what water you are fishing and where that may be.

Hope that helps some, and you may get some more information from this website may help some more.

Vignot

Reaction score
Thanks Adrian !

So I'll be able to fish for ?8.50 a week, and I can by my licence from my office, great !

Another question, I can't find a translation for "coarse fishing", could someone explain me ?

S

Shrek

"A La Peche" is the nearest I know.

In the UK, there are 3 types of fishing.

Game fishing covers fishing for trout, salmon and sea trout.

Sea Fishing covers anything caught from the sea.

Coarse fishing is anything else I suppose. Species included would be:

Chub
Barbel
Roach
Bream
Dace
Carp
Tench

and so on.