Killing a Beautiful Creature ain't easy

Blunderer

Reaction score
I was out walking with my wife yesterday in the Lancashire hills. We suddenly came upon a beautiful roe deer curled up in a ball in the corner of a field. My wife was awestruck, when I suddenly saw blood in the grass. She went to stroke it and the deer panicked and tried to bolt. It couldn't lift its head and it kept running and collapsing. I had a look and saw that something had ripped the poor sod's throat out. Probably a fox. We walked on for a minute but my wife was heartbroken. I sat her down, told her not to look and went back.

The poor thing was lying there in agony in front of me. It's gorgeous eyes were looking at me in fear and pain. It was breathing easily but it's throat was literally opened up, you could see its windpipe.

There was only one thing for it. Yes, I caved it's head in with a huge stone. It broke my heart, it really did. I am haunted by the poor things eyes. I cannot get it off my mind.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Did it with a coot once which had been partially garotted by some t...'. discarded fishing line.Not nice but the best option for the creature concerned.

S

Shrek

Don't suppose you then took the deer home for the pot did you?

W

Wolfman Woody

It's a very sad, but humane thing to do.

I saw a cat run over in North Wales once and finished it off by putting byfoot across its throat. Most of its guts were on the road or stuck to the tyre of the car that didn't stop.

Tears me apart to see any animal dying before its time.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There are times when you have to do this, and when you do it reminds us of our resposibilities to animal welfare. (You notice I don't use the word "animal rights" here because animals do not have rights!

Year ago I shot a dog for a friend of mine because he couldn't bring himself to do it. He lived neary 200 miles from the nearest vet.

I hope you brought that deer home and butchered it mate. Leaving the carcase to rot and feed foxes is a great waste.

Blunderer

Reaction score
My Mrs would not have accepted me taking it home. We went to the farmhouse, though, and told him, and his eyes lit up. I bet there was a few hundred quid's venison on there.

T

Tony Rocca

Well done on taking the right action, hard to do as it was.

F

Fred Bonney

I agree,I helped a mixxy rabbit on it's way once.
It's the best thing to do.

Shame humans aren't treated the same way, if they want to go...different subject, I know,so start another thread elsewhere, if you disagree.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You did what you had to do Paul and it was the right to do but I can only imagine the distress that must have caused you and your wife. Its no consolation to know you were right when you are lying in bed thinking about it but the feeling will pass in time mate, you see if it doesn't.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Rest easy mate. Lot better to end its misery in a quick and painless as possible way than to know it was being attacked by the wildlife that night and fighting for its life.

Blunderer

Reaction score
That was the thought that made me do it, Bryan, it being savaged up on the moors all night. Or if not, slowly ebbing away for hour after hour. Not a pleasant way to go at all.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

on the other hand you could have taken it to a vets ......

Blunderer

Reaction score
This would not have survived being dragged half a mile down a hill. Nor would any vet have been able to do anything about the wound.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

No Ed, If I was there I would have ended its life with a merciful .375 bullet.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way, if you dont have a firearm, the quckest way to kill an animal, and even a human is to behead it with an axe.

A clean stroke and even an human is dead in about 2 seconds.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Blunderer, I feel for you mate, but you did the right thing.

I did the same to a neigbours cat that had been torn up by a couple of greyhounds, whether you like cats or not it wasn't nice,