Light leads or heavy.

D

David Will

I have always used as light a lead for Carping as I can get away with.This might be half ounce it might be 5oz depending on distance undertow cross wind etc.Am i missing out in some situations?

R

Rob Brownfield

I have tended to go for the lighter leads recently...just because eveyone else seems to fish 4oz under the rod tip!! Also, I am sure the splash of a big lead puts fish off. I tend to cast to rolling fish u see..and 1oz enters the water quietly.

Also, i think the fish get confused...every fish I have hooked on a light lead gives a couple of bleeps..then a screaming run.

A

Andy Thatcher

With you on this one Rob. Something really strange must be going on if I use a lead over 2.5oz's. The only time I regulary go over this is when using method feeders.

P

Philip Inzani

I tend to go light as well but on certain occasions I have played around with weights of more than 1lb.

After experiencing Carp towing rigs all over the place without fully hooking themselves and without giving much indication at the rod end I tried attaching rocks on very light links that break off on the take......I don't do it as standard.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ahhhh..Philip..u hit the nail on the head! I dont use the light leads on a semi fixed rig. i use them free running. I have a light bobbin hanging about 6 inches down. I strike the fish...like the old days..lol. However, most times the carp has bolted long before I can strike and tends to hook itself on the baitrunner (set tightish)

With the bobbin drop I have caught fish that have givem=n no more than an inch lift. If this was a 4oz fixed lead i would never have know a fish was there

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I have always been one for margin fishing and so always used very light leads. However on a recent fishing trip I was required to push far further out due to swim restrictions. On doing so I attached 2 ouncer's, received two blinding runs but suffered hook pulls. Eventually I managed to get into a swim with good access to margins. I exchanged the 2's for halves, responded to two more runs and hooked and landed with no problems. The rig I used was the safety release fixed.

Would this be down to luck (I'm not convinced) or is there something in light leads and the lack of hook pulls?

Interested to hear your views!

R

Rob Brownfield

I think the carp is expecting weight these days..so..when it picks up a bait that is not attached to 3 oz, it gets confused. I seem to get screamers on light leads, but either quick 12 inch pulls on a heavy lead..or a few bleeps and thats it.

Light leads always seem to give one or two bleeps (fish picking up the bait) and then a constant tone run!!

P

Philip Inzani

Stuart, one thing I believe is that with a heavy lead you are putting more stress on the hook hold while playing a fish. I dont know if this was the case where you where concerned but a heavier lead bouncing around can loosen a hookhold. It also causes an angle in the line as it hangs down which can also put alot of stress on the hook as you are no longer pulling through a perfect stright line......although I do appreciate this is a gross simplification of something that has a great deal of variables like hook size and pattern as well for example.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Philip, that actually makes a lot of sense to me and I hadn't considered that. On an average of landing two fish with small leads and then hook pulls on two fish with bigger leads its not conclusive, so I'll carry on theory testing on my next trip and let you know how I get on!

Cheers Matey!

R

Rob Brownfield

Philip..thats exactlly what I said in a previous thread..at last someone agrees with me :eek:)..Heavy leads DO lead to hookpulls and mouth damage!

C

Craig w

I use PVA bags most of the time and find that you can get away with light leads as the bag of freebies is always enough to give you a good weight to cast with as long as your not looking to sling in a very large distance...