Angling Holidays

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The last time I wet a line was in October, on the Fraser River in British Columbia. Since getting back a lethal cocktail of work, family matters and the weather have kept me away from the water.

Looking out of the window, dreaming, have you any and what are your plans for next years’ angling adventure?

I have a hell of an act to follow. British Columbia is the best place I have ever fished. Fraser, Stave and Harrison Rivers for 10 days. Sturgeon and Salmon. Absolutely fantastic place, people and fishing.

Next year? Fortunately the trouble and strife doesn’t read this so I can admit to making enquiries about a week in France, probably May, a lake between 4 or 5 of us, bit of not too serious Carping, plenty of vin rouge and French cooking and more than a few laughs. Also thinking of a week’s Barbel fishing on the Wye in the Autumn. Again with a few beers thrown in.

Year after? Probably Canada again but maybe India. I have a good fishing buddy who is fishing the Cauvery in Feb. Dependant on how he rates it, who knows. Let’s hope that the money doesn’t run out!

This isn't a rehersal after all!

matthew barter

Reaction score
Stu, I'm with you this is it!!! We have got so little time and so much fishing to do in so many places.

I did Yellowstone this year. Fantastic. Lots of the famous spots were busy though. I was chatting to a French chap while fishing the Lamar. He said he'd never seen it so busy. If you're used to common fishing manners think again. However, you can with a bit of walking have miles of rivers and lakes to yourself and more wildlife than you can believe. Certainly worth a look.

One of my brothers lives in Canada, I'll probably feel obliged to visit next year. Trouble is I won't have seen him, his wife and my beautiful neice for a couple of years so how much fishing I'll get in is questionable. Not the same as a dedicated trip.

I have an urge for Golden Dorado in Bolivia or some other South American country in a couple of years. I've never "done" Africa. So many possibilties.

I'll try and fit in a trip to Europe in the mean time and I have never fished the sea in Ireland.

Like you Mahseer seem an ultimate challenge.

Forget the snow and keep dreaming of what is possible.

A few years ago I spent three weeks (best man at a wedding) fishing the seas around Antigua. Oh man, keep those memories coming.

Good luck Stu, I'm going to get some maps out and look at some pictures and think of the start of the season on the HA. A tradition that has superceded pre season fishing in Ireland.

Can't think why the wife left? Never mind more time to be selfish and dram of fish.

OOO, I forgot, what about lure fishing from the beach in Mexico for Rooster fish. That deserves serious consideration.

I could go on, I want to fish everywhere at once. Nevermind I just have to be selective or find a bag full of money.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Kindred spirits! The clock is ticking. Must do more mahseer and sturgeon... Golden Dorado... the pictures look amazing but I imagine Mexican roosterfish is a cheaper option. There's a chance I'll be on the pacific coast of Mexico in April, at Puerto Vallerta, what's the chances of roosters there then? Anyone know?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of planning a trip to the States to visit my sister. Current planned itinery:

Fly to Tronno, Niagra falls (Niagra river for carp and salmon)
Georgian Bay on Lake Huron (Walleye ,smallmouth bass, salmon)
East shore of Lake Michigan (Walleye, yellow perch, salmon)
Week with sister and family on the shores of lake Huron (salmon, catfish)

The stuff in brakets is for my eyes only, the rest looks like a nice trip to my wife!!:wh

Colin Brett

Reaction score
at Puerto Vallerta, what's the chances of roosters there then? Anyone know?

Ah!! The gay capital of Mexico!!:eek::eek::eek:

Roosters are I'm told around the Baja penisular! They look the business!!

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

I've had 2 trips to BC and enjoyed every minute of them both. 1st time was a 2 week trip with the wife, but I somehow managed 6 days fishing?? Did the Salmon and Sturgeon on the Fraser and Harrison with a day trip onto the sea at Tofino on Vancouver Island. Had a couple of really good guides who basically make your fishing worthwhile.

2nd trip was with a couple of mates. Again had a good time especially watching one of them trying to pull anything that looked remotely female. The Trailer park bird was hilarious!! and cost him a dollar or so without anything to show for it!!:D:D:D Talk about gullible!!
Fishing again was brilliant and our guide was even better for this trip.
We even got to meet Alice Cooper who was staying at our hotel.

Next year for a 3rd trip I hope!!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The Trailer park bird was hilarious!! and cost him a dollar or so without anything to show for it!!

What did he expect for 75p? We Brits know how to show a girl a good time!

I went to Tofino about 6 years ago, didn’t fish but went Whale watching. Beautiful Grey Whales. If you ever get the chance go for it.

We stayed near Mission on the Fraser; sounds like you can’t have been far away. You are spot on in that you need a good guide. We had three over the ten days, all brilliant in their own way.

If anybody is interested I can pass on details of who we used.

Last edited:

Colin Brett

Reaction score
but went Whale watching
Yep! Did that as well with a bonus trip out to see some Humpbacks about 5 miles out.
We stayed in Chilliwack and fished almost down at Mission.
The trailer park bird was dearer than 75p!!:eek: She stitched him up for around £50 for some sort of smoking material.:wh:wh He should have known better at his age!! However us, the sensible ones, had a great laugh at his expense!:D:D:D:D I guess he was lucky to get back to the hotel after being ditched at the Trailer park miles from anywhere!!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Colin,

Fabulous place, I'm missing it already! I'll have to steer clear of Trailer Park Wacky Backy though!

Mathew,

Just re-read your post, what did you fish for in Antigua? I was there over 30 years ago and for a couple of bottles of Scotch and some Cuban cigars I got the bloke who ran the water sports at our Hotel (Jolly Beach) to take us out before breakfast a few times. We fished off the back of a Dory type speed boat trolling whole fish baits for Barracuda’s, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel and Wahoo's. Brilliant experience.

Stu

matthew barter

Reaction score
Stu, we mainly caught Maui Maui, Wahoo and Barracuda.
I was impressed by how professional the skipper and mate were. The vessel was extremely well maintained. It gave me a lot of confidence as we boarded.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Mathew,

By comparison, we set off from the beach in the half light of dawn in a boat designed for water skiing, with a crew that looked like they had been up all night (almost certainly had!). No navigation equipment, spare engine etc. We ran out of sight of land and followed the Frigate Birds, where they started to feed was where the bait fish were, and underneath them were the toothy critters we were after. In hindsight reckless, but fabulous fishing on light trolling tackle. Nothing huge, the biggest fish were a shade under 30lbs. I don’t know how they did it but they had an unerring ability to motor straight back to the correct beach regardless of conditions. In built Sat-Nav!

Getting back to the present, I’m looking for a French carp lake for the May trip. Ideally within 4-5 hrs of Calais, would want to rent it exclusively for 4 or 5 of us, fishing would have to be a bit challenging with a good chance of a 30 or two. Don’t want a ‘runs’ water with stockies in the region of 20lbs. Any ideas?

Stu

matthew barter

Reaction score
I'm always careful when it comes to the sea. One mistake and it's all over.
Stu, I haven't fished in France since I was a boy. Even then it was mostly in harbours. Catching little stuff and then frying them whole and they tasted lovely.

The place you're looking for sounds good. I keep trying to be persuaded to fish a river (can't remember the name) over there by a friend who's parents live there and rent the next cottage. The pictures look very promising.

This summer I'm thinking maybe Scotland. I hope I can get a cottage and share the costs with walking friends as well as fishing friends. Trying to keep costs down but it's difficult if you compromise.

If I'm not confident although I'll take a rod I'd rather think of it as a walking/wildlife/ photography holiday. It is just so disappointing to be close to a good place to fish but not be allowed to concentrate on the main problem (catching fish).

I have found that every new challenge requires a lot of effort at the start. It took me six or seven weeks before I got to grips with the Hampshire Avon and that was fishing two sessions a day during the summer and into the night in winter.

Having said that you have to start somewhere and every new fishing experience is a lesson learnt. It is another tool that you can apply to a situation.

Rambled on to much. Good luck with France Stu, hope you can find the right lake.