grayling or minnows

niceroach

Reaction score
hey
went grayling fishing on saturday and got wiped out by minnows. minnows bleeding minnows put 8 maggots on a size 14 and still got minnows.

put 3 redworms on and still got minnows total nightmare scenario. put sweetcorn on and could'nt even get a minnow.

the joys the joys

niceroach

Reaction score
hey

thanks fred - if only i'd had this recipe at the weekend

its good to know somebody has a use for the greedy little
b.....s.

i will refer to the link if i ever go grayling fishing too early
again

lol

regards
niceroach

M

madpiker

if you`ve got a lot of minnows in your water,at least you know that the water quality is of a reasonable standard.
have you tried fishing the slightly faster water?if i get plagued by minnows,this usually works

Blunderer

Reaction score
Bloody hell, Fred.
That recipe does not involve COOKING half a kilo of live minnow. It involves EATING THEM LIVE!!!! Sod that for a game of soldiers!!!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Artificial maggots or casters are a good ploy when you are getting plagued by bits.

You will still get false bites but you can in time interpret those from the true ones.

P

Phil Heaton

Wait till the water gets colder, maybe after some frost, the gudgeon and minnows almost dissapear. If you do use sweetcorn it is more productive if you only use it as a hookbait, you may well be surprised at what else takes it even in the middle of winter. I have had chub and barble take a single grain trotted along a swim primed with bronze and red maggots, trout are partial also.

K

Keith Orange

I've noticed thousands of minnows this year, which is in fact a good sign that a river is clean and healthy.

I went grayling fishing yesterday and had extreme difficulty getting throught the hordes of minnows eager to take a white maggot.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Minnows are attracted to anything white. I find the red and fluro maggots are better for Grayling will still get minnows but not as many.

M

Mark Hodson

Try breadflake on a size 12, no minnows, lots of quality roach.

P

Phil Heaton

What about lip hooking a minnow on a size 6 or 4 and trotting for chub, perch or trout.