boilies

W

William Spencer

if money was no problem which boilie mix would you use for a season long campaign on one specific water?would a milk protein be too expensive?would fishmeal be limited to the warmer periods?would you opt for a bird seed based mix for year round use.?

B

Big Rik

I don't think milks are that vital to a winter campaign and fishmeals outscore most other boilies when it's warmer, so my choice would be one of the hybrid mixes that most boilie makers produce.
More likely I would go to a rolling company and get them to produce my own mix which would probably consist of something like the following in various percentages....

milk proteins
egg proteins
birdfoods
fishmeals
liver powder
yeast extract
betain
seaweed/kelp
GLM extract
savoury app stim/enhancer
salt
possibly a flavour label

N

NottmDon

I make a fair few of my own mixes Rik and to be honest I think I need to study a lot more what these various ingredients do. I often go with what recipes are advised on the actual base mix amd tweak it a little. What worries me sometimes is that I think maybe if I put one ingredient with another it may negate the affect so I am wasting both time and money. The other thing which I guess verges on the paronia level is I wonder if some of my concoctions could actually repel fish lol! I just keep reading all I can but if theres a publication out there you may think would be of use to us budding boilie barons,maybe something that gives a few pointers I'd appreciate it. I dont usually have many problems and I guess its a confidence thing. As I make boilies and boiled pellets for both carp and barbel I do have a fair idea of what works. Trouble with some magazines is you get such conflicting advice which I guess is just like anything else related to angling :) As a rule I tend to throw some paste or a pellet/boilie or two into the margins and if the fry go for it then I assume the bigger fish will too, I guess thats as good an indicator as any? I note that a lot of guys say use condensed supermarket milk so I assume that something in the processing stops this milk being a serious pollutant as normal milk would be?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
NottmDon. Why would normal milk in the levels we would use be a serious pollutant. I have not heard of this before. Infact some sources suggest mixing groundbaits with milk to aid in the cloud effect.

B

Big Rik

I think that's milk, e.g. the liquid, as opposed to milk proteins, e.g. the powders predominantly used in ice cream production etc

J

jason fisher

anyone ever tried condensed milk as a liquid additive?

F

Frothey

milk is classed as a pollutant! it can de-oxygenate water as the bacteria strips oxygen whilst trying to break down the milk....but then half a pint of milk isnt going to hurt a 40 acre lake is it?

B

Big Rik

no, but 20 people using it daily on a 2 acre 'carp' pool may produce different results.

F

Frothey

any worse than them feeding in 5 kg each of high oil pellet?

W

Wolfman Woody

"but then half a pint of milk isnt going to hurt a 40 acre lake is it?"

Won't do any harm on a 20 million gallons a day river then?

bigp

Reaction score
not exactley the same thing but i have used marvel in pva bags to good effect

Foxy

Reaction score
Jason,

I have had good results using coconut milk as a particle soak, smells really nice to!!

N

NottmDon

A few years back Bryan there was a spillage from a dairy that caused a significant river pollution incident and fish kill. A local scientist went on the news expressing how serious a pollutant milk was,until then I'd never considered it, I mean cheese for example is made from milk and fish love it!Over the years I've read a few articles and statements that milk is dangerous so have erred on the side of caution. I know real milk is totally different from condensed milk flaovourings for example (I can be dim but not that dim lol) my question is does condensed milk by its manufacturing process nulify the affect of the actual milk? I guess I could also ask if milk is a serious pollutant then why arent milk proteins as again fish seem to be very attracted to milk protein baits? Marvel again goes through a few processes to become a powdered milk form does this nulify the pollutant potential?Theres bound to be someone on here that can answer the questions in laymans terms.Coconut milk sounds a good idea as it would cloud up and is of course not from a cow:)

F

Frothey

milk isnt so much harmful to the fish, its the bacteria in the water using up the oxygen in the water breaking it down....its not the milk that kills them, its the suffocating!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
So really its just a case of using it sensibly as with a lot of baits. No good pilling it in if its not getting eaten. As this as to break down creating the same problem.

W

William Spencer

oooooooops.forgot i put this thread on.anyways been out on manouveres all weekend.rik the recipe you list sounds a little maple 8 ish?/bfm ish?
good points on milk.
does anyone know where i can get hold of b4 milk protein, i've looked on cotswald's site but cannot find it,i cannot find it mail order or on the net and all my local tackle shops are shite.

B

Big Rik

I don't know what's in maple8 or bfm, as I don't use either.

B4, try Des Taylor.