The big freeze????

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There is much talk in various newspapers about the forthcoming big freeze we are to have this winter.

Temperatures below -25 deg C lasting for months on end. Whole rivers frozen solid until May next year. Millions of people without power for months and motorways covered with 30 foot drifts for weeks.

Transportation will cease. Commerce will cease. It will be the biggest catastrophe ever to hit modern Britain as millions of people will die of starvation, cold and exposure.

Maybe nature is owing us a catastrophe in the light of the big three in other parts of the world during the past year.

Or perhaps the media are talking bullshit.

What do you think?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I seem to remember a similar post from you last year Ron?

C

Chris Pearson

Sounds great to me Ron,much less money going out next year in pensions and DSS benefits ;-)

I

Ian Cloke

There will be a rush down to the supermarkets now Ron, as everyone will want to stock up their freezers! ;o)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about going so far as to say that Ron, be we are supposed to be in for a bad one.

Aaaaahhh, smell those floor boards burning.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Every fisherman know just how accurate wether forecasting is.... not!

Earlier this year they were predicting a heatwave with record temperatures.

I

Ian Cloke

"Earlier this year they were predicting a heatwave with record temperatures."

Still time yet Andy ;o)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Load of old bollox if you ask me.

Mind you last night, so mild, sat in the bivvy until around 10pm with just a t-shirt on, very very mild. And boy did we have some rain.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
On Monday I even caught a little sunburn! I was down South and I am a bit pale normally though.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I seem to recall that back in January the experts were predicting a long hot summer and severe drought.
I don't think they know what the weather's going to be so they just keep making these stupid predictions in the hope that one day it'll happen and then they can boast about how clever they are.

N

NottmDon

Couldnt comment in all fairness but didnt a certain Mr Fish a well known weather expert say on National television that there would be no hurricane type winds once? Think he got that one wrong lol.

May be a proper winter though as this is the first year in a long time that seems to have had proper seasons (to a degree). I'll wrap up my tropical garden plants with fleece just to be sure.

M

mark williams 4

I'm really missing the seasonal weather - autumn, winter and spring these days just blur into one season. So if we get a bit of a freeze, I for one won't be upset.
Pete Stone told me he loved a good freeze. I asked him what he was doing one winter weekend, and he said with his characteristic stutter "Iceholes" I told him not to be so rude! But he explained that he had done some ice-holes fishing on Oxford pits when the freeze had really set in, using a saw to get through the ice, and catching perch and pike with lures and bait dropped into the holes.
That would make a change from legering in the p***ing rain...

B

Bully

I dont think he said there were no hurricane type winds, my recollection was that he didn't think they would hit us directly in the South East. May be wrong. We actually had stronger winds the following year, it was just the timing and previous 4 weeks weather (wet and warm) that created such devastation in terms of trees down etc.

The predictions of a cold winter are foundless. You simply cannot predict with any degree of accuracy beyond 3-4 days, let alone a season ahead!! Just far too many variables in a massively complex model.

Robbie H

Reaction score
I hope so in some ways Ron, as i've just taken stock of my new Prologic Wilderness jacket and B/brace set!

J

John McLaren

The best the forecasters can predict is something along the lines of: "if this happens before then we can expect some of that!" and there are so many variables that the best degree of probability they give for an accurate forecast more than 4 days ahead is in the region of 30-40%.

W

Wolfman Woody

"On Monday I even caught a little sunburn! I was down South and I am a bit pale normally though."

Oh Matt, you northerners come down to our sub-tropical climes quite unprepared. I've had severe sunburns in December if I forget to slip on a shirt, slap on a hat, and slop on sun tanny lotion.

C

Chub King

One theory for the increasing size of specimen fish has been that the lack of severe winters means fish live longer because they're never killed off by big freeze-ups.
I personally think that there are much more obvious reasons for bigger fish but a very cold winter where there are long freeze ups will deoxygenate the water severely enough to cause some significant fish kills. I have read that it used to happen quite regularly in the past but not so much of late.
Anyone confirm or deny the likelihood of that happening in severe cold weather?