Where Are They?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where have the chub gone to?
I haven?t been out as much this year for one reason or another. But when I have, the chub have been thin on the ground.
Are they being pushed out by the numerous shoals of the now more popular target, barbel? Or do you think the chub have reached a peak over the last couple of years? Are they now diminishing in their numbers as the barbel seems to be in much bigger demand.
Anybody who has been out on a more regular basis than what I have, what are your findings? Have you noticed a lack of chub more than what you usually do?

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Baz......they have been conspicuous by their absence on the Ribble and the Dove (for me anyway) this season but I think that is more to do with the prolonged low water conditions we have experienced so far this season. I have not caught a single Chub in daylight on each of these rivers but have had the odd one after dark. With regards to the Dane which I have not fished this year bar a couple of short evening sessions the Chub seem to have been more readily caught from the reports that I have heard.

Dan.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Dan.
I have only visited the Dane a couple of times this year (low water), but have strugled to catch the chub, barbel aint a problem though.
I e-mailed Stuart about the colour and pollution, he was good enough to actually phone me back and give me a full progress report on what is, and had been happening.
Stroll on winter eh mate?

C

Chub King

Definitely the conditions Baz. The little buggers are there but they can see us and our tackle. Best bet in the Nene has been maggot feeder for the first two hours of darkness in a regularly pre-baited swim.

R

Robin Higgins

"Where have the chub gone to?"

They're all in the Kentish Stour around Canterbury - thousands of them! The fishing this year has been the best I've experienced in the last three years, despite the river being sooooo low and soooo clear.

My guiding rates are very reasonable for this who haven't seen a chub since last March....!

J

john conway

They?re back on the Ribble now Baz. My theory based on observation is they?ve been very busy bashing the huge shoals of fry. In the evenings I?ve watched them coming into the shallows with their backs out of the water mopping up the fry. Due to the exceptional long low water conditions the river is black with fry in the shallows at night.

L

Les Clark

Robin ,I would love to fish the Stour (for pike )but they have stopped the day ticket ,why dont they (CADAA )put the Stour on a membership card on its own ,Worth a go ,I for one would join ,but don`t need the full club membership .

Red6

Reaction score
Just picked up on this thread.

Get down to Berks / Hants borders Baz, the place is full of them. No monsters as yet, but had 9 last Saturday between 2 and 4 pound.

Ian