Now I'm confused

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Thanks for your help in choosing the right rod. Most of you seem to think the JW signature avon quiver is an outstanding rod. So my mind is made up. However, I now find out there?s another one called the JW signature BARBEL quiver!
So two questions?

1. Which is best for a beginner, or should I go for the cheapest of the two that I can find? (Remember it's for float and ledger).

2. What type of reel securing system. I believe they come with standard or screw down?

Ok for the technical amongst you that might be three questions, but who?s counting.

Many thanks in advance.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would stick with the Signature model of your first choice.

With a screw down fitting.

Be carefull though.
On the screw down fitting, the top part of the cork which you screw down is pretty thin, and the lads I know that use them and also myself, have found that the cork splits under too much pressure when you are tightening your reel up.
If the cork does snap, simply hold the join together with a piece of insulating tape. It may not sound like a good advert for them , but don't let it put you off them. They are a good rod.

Take your reel with you before purchaceing the rod, as some people have said in the past that they don't take all makes of reels.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you hold the screw down piece of cork around the bottom instead of in the middle like I did when tightening down to the reel, you should not have a problem as the thinnest section of cork is in the middle, but quite thick around the bottom, where you should hold it when tightening up anyway.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Agreed, the 1&1/4lb Avon you first looked at.

The Barbel quiver has a higher rated test curve making it less suitable for smaller fish. The original will cope with double figure fish and rivers like the trent when used with care.

Mine has the screw down reel seat and again if you're careful and don't over tighten it there will be no problem with splitting the cork.

Smaller reels like the shimano sahara 3000's fit beautifully but Baz is right always take your reel to try on the rod you're buying.

The okuma centrepins fit it very well too by the way.

:0)