Great Angling Characters

R

Ron Clay

With the recent deaths of Ray Webb, Peter Stone, Bernard Venables etc, it now seems that the angling world has few great characters.

However I may be wrong.

Some members of this website have the charisma and personality of becoming the great angling characters of the new millenium. For example Paul Williams is probably a great character already. And then there is Rik (Carp Angler) Bellinger, Sedge, Des Taylor, and what about our own Greyhound MacWallet.

Who do you think will become the next geat angling characters? Let's face it our sport needs such people

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You're definitely a character Ron. Only the other day somebody said to me, "That Ron, what a character!"

No kidding!

R

Ron Clay

As long as I'm not called a legend. You know what the next thing that happens to legends is?

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron...u never know...maybe that angling legend, Des Taylor may be next! If he carries on the way he is...he is going to end up at the bottom of a deep lake!!..lol

By the way..I agree...u are one hell of a character!..lol

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You can always be a living legend Ron. Or a legend in your own lunchtime like me!

A

Andy Thatcher

Trouble with the word legend is that it is not the world away from leg-end ! Now in that context ....... :)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I just knew somebody would stop me and Ron from becoming proper legends.

A

Andy Thatcher

Would you settle for characters ? As legends are usually er demised or close to it ! No go for characters instead and we'll have a vote hopefully in many years to ratify legend status !

R

Ron Clay

Shame, poor old Des.

He only tries his best you know. And he did put me onto some good roach fishing on the Severn.

However he never does pay his rounds in the pub

C

Chris Bishop

John Wilson. How many other anglers can the non-angling public name..?

H

Harry Cooper

No mention of Gordon Burton the renowned pike angler from my part of the world.

G

Gary Knowles

The nice thing about angling is it is FULL of characters, thats one of the main reasons I love it. Its just that they are not all in the public eye.

For some strange reason pike angling seems to throw up most of the strange guys I know. perhaps its sitting for hours on end staring at motionless indicators. Or maybe its spending all day looking over your shoulder hoping no-one can see your extra rods or your big bucket of livebaits !

Anyway Ron don't worry too much about a lack of characters......I've never known as many funny, mad, eccentric, lunatics as I meet through fishing - or perhaps thats just the company I keep !

P

Paul Williams

Funny, mad, eccentric, lunatic......nearly forgot wind up merchant.....now who does that remind me of? MMMMMMMM :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Gary wrote: "Anyway Ron don't worry too much about a lack of characters......I've never known as many funny, mad, eccentric, lunatics as I meet through fishing - or perhaps thats just the company I keep !"

I just want everybody to know that I don't have anything to do with him. And as for mad pikers...Gord Burton, Chris Bishop.....

S

STEVE POPE

Hi All,

Fred Crouch, a real character and without any doubt whatsoever a barbel angling legend.

Not only that he is a great bloke and if you haven't already been, a day out fishing with Fred is an absolute joy.

I am proud and indeed fortunate to call him a great friend.

Steve.

P

Paul Williams

Hi Steve,
You saw my thread about you above then!!!
only joking!! good holiday??

K

Kevan Farmer

Characters? There are plenty still around. Most of those we have loved and called characters in the past were relatively unknown to the public. We still have the eccentric Chris Yates. Then there is Bob James and a myriad others. Julian Cundiff, love him or hate him he is a known angling character, maybe not as high profile now as Des T but he's still there and don't forget he's still young and has a lot of potential to give.

Kevan

C

Carp Angler

Ron,
you flatter me, by mentioning me in the same breath as Sedge, Des Taylor and Graham.

I'm just some bloke who catches fish and doesn't like badgers.

But whatever you do, don't ever again mention me in the same paragraph as Brummie, people might think I know him.......

R

Ron Clay

Sorry chaps I forgot clean about Gord Burton. A great character, especially when you see him casting into a fish tank at the NEC.

Fred Crouch, yes there's another. How on earth does he manage to land barbel on that decrepid split cane rod of his?

I'd like to see him tackle the Collingham narrows with a big tide running and the 4 oz lead you need to hold bottom. On top of that an 8 pounder picks you up and runs out 60 yards of 10 lb line.

P

Paul Williams

"But whatever you do, don't ever again mention me in the same paragraph as Brummie,people might think i know him..."
He will get to when i pitch my bivvy in his swim next time he is catting <smirk>