Shimano reels

alex potter

Reaction score
I fish quite a small lake with carp to 34lb, i use 2.75lb TC rods, 12/15lb line and usuall have a cast of 70yards and am not sure wghich baitrunner would be better. 10000 looks good but is it worth the ?100 price tag?. Which reel do you guys think is better?.

Cheers lads

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Alex, is it worth paying ?100? its got to be said, its a shimano which in itself is a reel you can trust. However you aint (in my opinion) gonna necessarily get any more distance over an 8,000 gte.

If you're gonna take the plunge then investigate the bigger pit reels that shimano have to offer.

alex potter

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I was thinking about a big pit reel but the lake i fish is only small and margins are the hotspot/ small gravel bars about 60yards out so i dont really feel i need a big pit reel. I was just wondering which was best as a smooth fish playing action, smooth drag and bait runner to balance my 2.75 lb TC rods
Cheers

R

rob tudor

I've had a set of 10k bait runners and IMO they are not all their cracked up to be Ive got a set of gte b which are very good probably the best shimano baitrunner yet But Stu is right have a look at the pit reels that shimano do ie the Biomaster GTX comes with spare spools for around ?80 they are even bringing one out with the baitrunners gizzmo on the spool. there is very little in the distances you can cast between a bait runner and a pit reel it comes down to cranking power and line cap. its your money so its your choice.

Richard Poole

Reaction score
i agree with you rob , the 10k's are not quite all they are cracked up to be!
anyone else had trouble with drag washers and the handles bending, i know of two other guys who have also had an handle bend

alex potter

Reaction score
Thnx for the replys guys i am a bit wottied abhout these complaints you have experienced i am intrested to see if anyone else has had problems, Stuart am also ontrested in the Shimano Big baitrunner long cast or the daiwas emblem pro both about the same price tag which do tou guys belive ids better i am swaying towards the shuimano because i like the baitrunner facility.
Cheers

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Alex I have two 10Ks, been using them for around 6 months. No problems what so ever (yet). Never had a problem with Shimano reels in 15 years. They live on a quiver and are abused and chucked around.

Landed carp to 40lb in france without a hitch. Great for casting and when fish under rod tip. All loaded with braid now for winter piking in Ireland.

And no I don't work for Shimano!!!

Richard Poole

Reaction score
i had never had any problem with shimano either julian, until my 10k's were about 15 months old, if i fished smaller waters would go back to my 6010's tomorrow as they are fantastic

grant calderbank

Reaction score
i have 2 2.75tc rods and i use shimano aero gte800's and i have had no probs what soever with them my biggest carp landed on these reels is 24lb 10oz

richard turner

Reaction score
got to say i agree with grant iv fished with shimano bait runners for longer than i want to remember 6000,8000,i now have 10,000s and iv never had a problem with any of them my son is now using my first pair and he loves them they are scratched and abused a bit but still smooth and wok perfect so i would go for the baitrunner but if your only fishing the small like you say you are the 8000 is perfect .

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I've also got three 10K's and a pair of 6000GTE B's, both excellent reels, but if the maximum chuck I'd got to make was less than 80 yards I'd plumb for the gte-b's you can gain a little extra distance with the 10k's but apart from that there's very little to choose from except price.