grippa leads

M

matt thomas

i want to stock up on some BIG weights for winter as i was seriously undergunned on the fish in with 4 oz my heaviest ,i ended up clipping two together to hold bottom,which can hurt the pocket if you lose any
So where do you all get them from?
do i make my own?
can you get moulds for that size?
is it cheaper to buy sea watch leads?
i'm going to spend a few quid and stock up so any info is appreciated
thanks matt

John Richards 4

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help but try "http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=57". They have watch leads (eg 6oz @55p each) and some moulds etc.

Have you thought about using the smaller sizes of breakaway grip leads? You can use less weight but they are obviously a bit more expensive (a 3oz one is 62p). They're more effective on sand and mud than on gravel but they do work in circumstances that defeat 6oz. or heavier watch leads. Keep an eye on the amount of downstream bow you put in the line as the technique is somewhat different to using a 'normal' lead.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Matt, sea watch leads are the cheapest and you'll find they cost less near the coast!

Inland shops have figured out that some of us buy them to save on buying Korda Grippas so I reckon they stick a bit of extra margin on!

I've been thinking about designing something and getting some moulds made in various sizes. I'm not convinced I'll ever get round to it though.

Climax in Dronfield stock the Korda Grippas in sizes up to 10oz.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I would get a few moulds and make your own. Do a batch in the close season of all the sizes you use.

M

matt thomas

you ought to have seen it,it was like a tsunami rushing in!

right i'm going to climax then(what now?)
oooh err
nooo, climax dronfield to get some 8 oz ones then i'm going to make some in winter when i've nowt to do
cheers matt

Robbie H

Reaction score
not sure if they have the sizes, but Harrisonstackle.com send all internet orders p&p free!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
I'm gonna stock up on leads for March, Collingham hopefully, are you up for it then?
E-mails still bouncing?
Steve.

Nick you should have seen it!
My eyes poped out when I saw Matt B chuck an 8oz lead out!;-)

Matt Brown

Reaction score
And there was less than 3ft on! It's all a bit silly though isn't it?

Mike Townsend and I fished the Trent last night and could hold bottom with 2.5oz at 40 yards.

BTW - congrats to Mike who had a new pb Barbel - his first double figure fish at 11lb 8oz!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I meant to say "on Matts second cast!";0)

Well done Mike, "cracking fish".

Was that South Muskham again?

J

jason fisher

try veals you'll get some good watch leads from there but as some one suggested grip leads are better, slinging 8oz aint fun.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Nick, I only use them when I need to fish 6oz plus at more than 25 yards or the flow is such that I need to land the fish quickly.

It allows me to cast heavy weight accurately but the blank doesn't lock up. It just keeps bending. It'll chuck a 6oz watch lead over a 100 yards if necessary. There's not much call for that in most Barbel fishing situations though.

I have a pair of 1.5lb tc Shimano Nexave Classics for most of my Barbel fishing. They do lock up though so I'd prefer something a bit more 'up market'. 1.75lb tc would be more suitable for more all round situations.

N

NottmDon

Ive been messing about making my own leads with a fair degree of success,its also fun but then again my wife thinks Im a nutter sometimes lol. You dont need anything fancy at all really,some lead flashing from a builders merchant,some wire which you can get easily enough,a baked bean tin and a wooden mould. I have been using hole cutting drill bits that leave a nice flat bottom in the mould,you can then drill holes a little deeper to form the gripper nodules. Okay so far my grippers are one sided but they work fine and once youve made one and weighed it its a doddle to get your leads the same size. I may try a proper mould but to be honest I've been making leads in a polo mint shape (but a lot feckin heavier lol) so that I could mould method mix or pellets into them as feeders tend to not last very long when theres a bit of flow on.Its surprising just how easily lead melts down and of course how fast it resets,you have to be organised. Of course it goes without saying molten lead and any form of H20 do not mix well!