No Comments....

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not implying that comments should be obligatory or anything but it does surprise me a bit, forever reading here on the forum about how great the articles are, some say even better than most mags provide.

Yet how few bother to leave a comment is staggering.

If I had any sort of inclination (which I don't) to write articles then it wouldn't last long as I'd feel that it either wasn't being read or no one enjoyed what they'd read.

I mean how long does it take to post a comment, of course if you don't like them don't bother but it seems a thankless task writing articles on here and we read them for free when all said and done.

stikflote

Reaction score
cg74,
All forums appear to be the same ,and i myself only read and comment on post or articles that interest me , carping in winter would not get a comment from me at all.

happy new year, keith

cg74

Reaction score
John, Keith I'm not suggesting that every article should or would be of interest to yourselves or anybody else.
In fact often I read articles and get barely halfway through before I click off...

That said excluding site officials placing some sort of comment most articles will/do just pass on by un-noticed and sorry but I actually pity the writers of such articles, if their time and effort is commonly accepted as being found so widely insipid, why waste time writing them?

And if appreciated and enjoyed it'd be courteous to acknowledge them, so in essence either most of the site members are severely lacking in common courtesey or don't like what they read??!!

Just my opinion, take it how you like.

Last edited:

nick dv

Reaction score
And if appreciated and enjoyed it'd be courteous to acknowledge them, so in essence either most of the site members are severely lacking in common courtesey or don't like what they read??!!

That's a bit of a sweeping statement!!!

Cheers, Nick :)

(Oops, I made a comment ;) )

noknot

Reaction score
Hi CG,

I understand what you are saying, as I have written a couple of articles, and indeed they take a little time and effort to produce, and you are right in what you say, look at the number of veiws to the number of comments left:(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hi CG,

I understand what you are saying, as I have written a couple of articles, and indeed they take a little time and effort to produce, and you are right in what you say, look at the number of veiws to the number of comments left:(

Me too....and it means an awful lot if just one person says that they enjoyed the article. No comments doesn't make it a bad piece though.

Its a sign of the times. We are slowly but surely forgetting how to be courteous to people....eg to say "Good Morning" to total strangers etc. I was brought up to do that.My kids think I'm mad.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Morning all

As one that did from time to time produce something for FM,it is good to get a response.
My very first article I think, got more comment on what I put on my bacon sandwich than the content, but it did feel good anyway.

I know Kevin Perkins was regularly disappointed with the lack of response too.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I got plenty of comments when I did an article on stillwater barbel.....

It always varied a great deal though.Sometimes an article would be well-read yet get no comments, other times there'd be plenty when you least expect it. Humourous articles seem to be well read yet get very few coments mainly because there's not much to say apart from thanks.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The latest, Winter fishing for carp, and I only know because Ive just looked it up, does not in the slightest appeal to me so I probably wont read it.
The original title of this was just Winter Fishing. It is a carp article but it also contains a lot of relevance to most other freshwater disciplines. I have been pressured recently by the tech staff to attempt to make the titles more Search-Engine friendly and specific which is why I altered the title, and why some of our more recent article titles are a bit heavy.

Comments: Yes, please make a comment. There's no postage stamp involved after all and its a great reassurance to a new writer that people are reading and appreciating their efforts.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
You write an article because you want to, you think you might have something interesting to say and you do your best to make it enjoyable.
And if you are able to do it regularly enough it can help pay a few bills in some cases!

You don't write looking for comments and plaudits although they are very welcome when they are made.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who will comment on something I may have written but it is almost always in a face to face situation. So your message always gets out.

There are many excellent articles on here, I've really enjoyed those that have a similar interest to mine but I've never left a comment.

It's no different with blogs, hundreds, perhaps even thousands read and enjoy otherwise they wouldn't come back, but only a handful leave a message. That doesn't stop me making the effort because I enjoy it!

Its how it is and anyone who writes knows that.

Plus we humans seem to be far more ready with negative response than positive so I take no comment as being a real positive!!

m chapman

Reaction score
comments

I have never left a comment, although i read almost everything, i read the winter carp fishing article, (although i am not remotely interested in carp ) and found it informative and well written,I read all the Forums except the Predator, and find most of the comments constructive, but am a believer in "if you havent got anything nice to say dont say it" I will in future leave a comment if it helps to ensure the articles keep coming. Happy New Year to all Fishing Magic Members Mick

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You write an article because you want to ......................... You don't write looking for comments and plaudits although they are very welcome when they are made.
Couldn't agree more with the above.

For me, writing is a joy and I hope it's useful. Nowadays I write more reference stuff for beginners (perhaps because I'm useless at catching fish these days) and if just one person learns something from it or it provokes more thinking about the topic then I have succeeded in my ambition, but it wouldn't worry me if no one commented, good or bad.

As my predecessor would say, if there are no comments then you've probably made it so clear there were no questions to ask or that everone else agrees with you (highly unlikely in the world of angling mind.)

When you read an article in a magazine, you don't immediately sit down and put pen to paper to comment on it, unless of course you vehemently disagree with the author and wish to challenge him.

I can tell you that 412 people have so far read the Winter Fishing for Carp article. That's not bad for the time of year when, because of the weather, anglers can't get out and practice what they read.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I sort of agree with Steve and Jeff as I write articles because I enjoy writing. I do like to feel that they've been read though and one of the frustrations of this site is that you can't see the viewing figures. Comments are always nice, but you just can't predict when you're going to get them. I sometimes try to provoke a debate and fail, but then get loads of comments and discussion on what I consider to be a totally no-controversial point.

Why is it BS Noknot? Do you want 500 thank yous, one from each reader?

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick follow up.

I've just this minute sent an email reply to a lovely fellow who had just mailed me being very complimentary on my blog and choice of music, I also gave him a few tips as he's hoping to get out on the river later in the week.

I mention this not to blow my own trumpet but to stress the point that the huge majority of anglers like to do this type of thing privately. It's why all forums don't see hundreds of different people posting!

They all look in and thoroughly enjoy most of what they see but the desire to make a public response is just not there.

This past year I've come across so many who have said this to me and they are not all shy I can assure you.

Picking up on Sean's point they also steer well clear of controversy! Those who enjoy that actually love it but there are plenty who don't!

A favour to ask from Jeff and Geoff, is it possible to make my name lower case? It's been like this for many years because I was very poor on the keyboard back then, not that much better today!

A

alan whittington

Sorry fella's,but as was said earlier you write an article because you choose to,if you want a pat on the back,dont bother,i think ive read one or two articles since being on FM,their probably all brilliant,but i dont look at them mainly because i read a mag for articles,im on FM for the interchange.

jimcc

Reaction score
I really enjoy most articles (if not all) that I read on FM but I am only moved to comment if I think I can contribute something to the discussion. Non contibition does not mean that I dislike the article.

It can take a lot of guts to create an article and I have learnt more from articles on this site than any trade mag!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
That's total BS! Just a thank you would be good!
Sorry you disagree, but I'd start to feel a little worried if I saw the same crew posting thank yous after any articles I wrote. I would thinking that someone was stalking me and maybe that after a while it started sounding more than a little sychophantic.

Anyway, thinking about it, have you posted a thank you against any of my stuff? :( :( ;) :)

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Expecting/asking for comments can be a bit risky. I put a blog type page on the CSG web site asking for comments/reviews of our latest book. Although all have been mostly positive there is one section of comment that is not what I expected, a ref to the business plan, (now where I have I heard that comment before;)) although in practical terms all I did was to promote the book through our web site it did touch a nerve.

The link is below if you've read the book :)

Footnote: But of course I doubt anyone on FM would not make anything but nice comments as you are all such nice people :)

Last edited: