The Syndicate

B

Big Rik

Still learning and thinking even though you're not catching.

Just stuff again chubbo.

PVA webbing, good thought process.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Good article Stu. ;o)

Interesting and thought-provoking as usual. Interesting also that you looked to gain from a blanking experience - which I'm sure we all try to do, but not always achieve! I certainly don't if I'm honest!

All too frequently, the confidence has slipped even though I rack my brains as to how presentation can be improved etc.

Nice one mate!

S

sash

Yep, nice one again Stu.

I used a 'sock' PVA tube quite a bit this Summer when fishing a braid hooklength and that worked excellently as there was no need to coil / fold the hooklength when putting it in the bag (the hook was nicked into the bottom of the bag with the lead right at the top). It also allowed various other bits n pieces to be added to the bag that would leak or crawl out of mesh PVA.

I also found that pushing halved baits into a PVA mesh bag seemed to lessen the explosion factor when the bag melted thereby keeping everything closer together and the hooklength straighter.

F

Frothey

good thinking with the mesh old bean, but if we give the carp the credit that we do isnt there a better place to put the hookbait in a line of bait than at either end....

L

little Stu!

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated. I've just read the article again as I'd sent in a couple of months ago.

Even reading through my own ramblings it still amazes me as to how much we've all yet to still learn.

But what a wonderful aprenticeship!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Only indirectly linked to Stu's excellent article but what are your thoughts on PVA residue? You know, that little globule of gel that's always left for a while after the PVA has dissolved. Does this put off wary carp?

Hooking the PVA higher up the rig rather than directly onto the hook is obviously one answer. And I wonder if the oil some of us use in our pellets in the PVA bags (and on the bags) soaks into the PVA enough to counteract any negative smell/taste of the PVA. Although the oil can't soak too far into the PVA or it wouldn't dissolve at all.

Just a few thoughts to mull over....

njb51

Reaction score
thanks rik, i meant what does it dissolve into? what chemicals are left floating around in the water?

C

Cakey

I hope someones done all the tests with the amount of bags etc going in these days

ByNasty

Reaction score
Nice one Stu, although if we are using the theory that we all learn from our blanks then I should be a bloody carping genius by now!
I know you've mentioned on here before about high attraction contents in your bags, is this something you will be looking to more in future sessions? Also would some broken or crumbled baits provide more attraction or are you trying to get them more confident feeding on the little balls?
Once again Stu thought provoking stuff.
Keep up the good work.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Congrats on the article Stu, good to see you blank and search for the answers, hope you find some of them soon.