The importance of colour!

njb51

Reaction score
has anyone read crafty carper recently? more specifically, the article about using different colour hookbaits at different times of the day in different light conditions.

Apparently fish see in infra-red (apparently!) and can see red things very well in the dark, also the best colour to use in deep dark water is blue.

What are your thoughts?

C

christian tyroll

ive heard quite a few times blue is most visable in deep water so thats probably true!
but if this is true why dont we see more blue boilies on the shelves? any ideas?
but ive never heard the infa red one before!

Joskin

Reaction score
Brighter colours like yellow are more visible to the human eye in coloured and deep water.
Dont understand why anyone would think that blue is.

njb51

Reaction score
something to do with that end of the colour spectrum being more visible to fish down at deep depths.

I'll look at the mag again to try and find the reason.

L

little Stu!

WE have taken waters apart on bright yellow flouros when all else has failed. Have a look at our Le Mans trip write up, one fish came out in one whole week to a non bright yellow pop-up.

In certain times of the year, bright baits do better.

Now open your mind, could the cold affect the carps eyesight? could it be affecting it in a positive way or a negative way?

Does colder water temp affect visibility in depths etc?

I aint got a feking clue, but no doubt we could have an opinion on it!

W

William Spencer

if you can grab hold of carp baits uncovered frank warwick goes fully in depth on this subject.the blue in question is of a day glo type blue and not a darker navy type blue.
to keep the fowl out of the way tim paisley even suggests the use of black baits.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Walker was keen on this subject in his letters to Ingham......Fascinating stuff.

He intimated that Blue was a good colour to use in deeper water.

W

William Spencer

if carp do see through the infra red spectrum then the most visible colour is white followed by yellow,orange,red,green blue,indigo and violet.yes i know we can sing a rainbow,but the infra red spectrum also denotes heat i.e white being warmest,and so forth.according to this then my milk ice cream pop ups should be screaming hot.

Joskin

Reaction score
I am scuba diver and the first thing you see when you look at other divers weather they are wearing bright blue, Pink, Red Black, Purple etc. is the Yellow colour of their Air Cylinder. Even in Low visibility or at depth it is Yellow that is most visible to the human eye.

N

NottmDon

I read that article in CC it was interesting. Did try some blue luncheon meat one season but couldnt get any fish to take it.If your dayglo theory is correct that would perhaps explain it. I find the whole subject of baits both fascinating and,sometimes,confusing. I know bright yellow pineapple pop ups have been doing the biz but I sometimes ask myself how the hell does a fish associate pineapples with a HNV bait?I mean whenever in its life would a British carp have come across a natural pineapple and had a nibble to decide it liked it lol? It maybe the scents catch anglers but the food signals and background ingredients attract the fish,who knows? I suppose a lot would say "who cares as long as it catches" :)

B

Big Rik

strawberry is supposed to be the best flavour, followed by pineapple.
This is because it has had the most refining by sweet/confectionary/anybody else manufacturers to make it the most palatable and then it was hijacked by bait companies, so flavour label has nothing to do with colour, maybe flouro yellow strawberry baits would be the ultimate hi attract ?

The flavour to colour association is purely to satisfy you, the angler.

W

William Spencer

joskin curious answer there m8.
the human eye consists of millions of optic nerves.mainly there are twice as many red optic nerves as there green and blue optic nerves put together,this is why when you study a picture you are normally drawn to the red object(if there is one in the picture).however in your point yellow is the brighter colour which shouldn't need much sunlight to highlight the colour.
have you actually looked closely at baits under water?
could you try?
interesting to see if you put several patches of boilies down(different colours)
which would grab your attention first.

C

Cakey

I was finkin that colour was why sweetcorn was soooooooo good but then tigers come into mind..................

W

William Spencer

good point rik,jules cundiff caught for years on strawberry cream boilies that where yellow.

Joskin

Reaction score
Perhaps i will take a pot of mixed boilies of different colours next time I go diving and tip them out in 20 meters of water where we usualy cant see the bottom untill we have decended to around 6-8 meters from the bottom. I will decend slowly and see what colours come into view first.

It wouldnt be the first time I have taken bait diving.

L

little Stu!

"jasus" is this the FM we all know and love? Grown up conversations and serious debates?