Apollo Taperflash

Stuart Way

Reaction score
I hav'nt fished for twenty years, and I am curently buying tackle to start up again. I'm looking to buy an Apollo Taperflash fishing rod, if anybody has one for sale, please get in touch. This was my favouite rod for many years. I used it for catching rudd (fishing "on the drop") dace and roach on the stick float. I know a lot of people complained about the weight, but once accustomed to it that didnt matter.It was very responsive and a good strong rod as well.It could handle tench, chub and (smaller) carp without any problems. Does any one else have fond memories of this excellent piece of fishing history?.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I certainly do and I smashed one ca 1965.

You seriously don't one one of these anachronisms do you?

They certainly don't make such things any more as there is now a material far better, lighter, and more responsive - carbon fibre.

I guess that virtually all those old steel rods have broken years ago and were consigned to the skip. The suffered from metal fatigue.

Stuart Way

Reaction score
Would seriously love to own one again. I was using carbon rods when I fished twenty years ago. Nostalgia gets very strong when you are ready for retirement!!!

fred hall

Reaction score
Stuart, I'm retiring next year as well so as one oldie to another forget the Taperflash (unless it's a collectable) and get yourself some decent modern rods. There really is a tremendous selection these days and the prices are very competitive if you shop around a bit. If you want value for money rather than top of the range I would say go for Shakespeare brand but the choice is yours.
Enjoy rediscovering your love for angling, Fred.

Stuart Way

Reaction score
Hi Fred, I,ve actually got two new rods, one float, one quiver tip, (both carbon)but still hankering over the Taperflash. Ive managed to get vintage Mitchell Match 440a which is like brand new, also a Daiwa Harrier 125m for the river work. I will probably start again next season, and am looking towards visiting the Trent at East Stoke. I used to be on there every other weekend (all weekend).Regards, Stuart.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no they ain't Ron - I still have one, and use it from time to time :)

Stuart, using vintage rods and reels can be great fun, so take a look on e-bay as the Taperflash does come up sometimes.
The one I use is a composite of 2 rods I managed to get my hands on.

Good luck in your search.

W

Wolfman Woody

Take no notice of Peter Jacobs, he has loads of old tackle much of which is now propping up the walls of his dining room or elsewhere in the house.

Cane everywhere, but there's no shortage of pea sticks coem the spring in his garden!

Dump this silly idea Stuart, you'll only end up regretting it. Most old tackle is only fit for one thing - land fill!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I reckon Peter must have bloody strong wrists to hold a Taperflash. All I ever remember was that horrid weight.

I trod on the tip and it shattered.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear Jeff and Ron - Gertcha!

Neither of you can wind me up today as I just got the good news about the job in Paris - and next weekend I'll be on the Avon with a Wallis Wizard and an Aerial almost as old as you two - so there!

Second thoughts, there ain't nothing around as old as you two, so I take that back

:-0)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Second thoughts, there ain't nothing around as old as you two, so I take that back"

Only Harriet the tortoise in the paper this morning -- 175 years old next month --she was born in 1830 (just before Ron)

MarT

Reaction score
Apollo Taperflash...blimey that takes me back to when I started fishing...my dad used to have one, and I used to borrow it when he wasn't looking.

Beecy

Reaction score
Stuart, I think my dad has a taperflash in his garrage, hes one of those types that never throw anything away no matter how useless!

If hes still got it and is prepared to part with it I'll get in touch.

Beecy

Reaction score
Stuart, just phoned my Dad and he confirms he has got one!

His first question was "why would anyone want that bloody thing!"

Second question "whats he willing to pay?"

If you realy are interested let me know and I'll go over to my dads this weekend and have a look at it, knowing how my dad looks after his gear though it is bound to be in decent condition.My dad is the type who spends more time cleaning his gear than actualy using it!

Peter Constable 2

Reaction score
Hi Stuart,

Regarding Apollo Taper Flash fishing rod, I have the rod you are talking about, it is in mint condition and in it's original rod bag it also has the rubber stoppers in the ferral's, I believe these are sort after as antique tackle, let me know if your still interested in one it is really a work of art I've been fishing for 40 years and have had and have more tackle than you can imagine I've two Poles at £2,000 each but I must admit the Apollo was a rod of it's time.

Regards,

Pete Constable

Tel: 0161 336 2867

Mob:07962686577