burbot

P

Paul Adams

does anybody think burbot should be re-introduced back into it's once native eastern english haunts, what with all the foriegn imports, surely a once native species deserves to be given another chance.
i don't think their re-introduction would have such a dramatic effect on the environment as was the case with the initial stocking of zander to the fens in the sixties.(i have nothing against zander!)

P

Philip Inzani

Paul, interesting idea but as much as I would like to see them back I just cannot imagine people flooding to the new "Burbot" lake at Anglers Paradise. Anything that has a sole claim to fame of being the only freshwater member of the Cod family is destined for obscurity in my book. I mean how would you sell it ?

...the serenity of a Carp, the majestic power of a Barbel, the cold ruthlessness of a Pike?and the cold slimy wriggling of a Burbot.

I can't see it working (-:

R

Ron Clay

Shame Philip, how can you belittle one of England's most interesting and now extinct species.

**** Walker spent many days trying to catch one on the middle reaches of the Great Ouse during the 60s

P

Philip Inzani

...not sure they are extinct in the UK Ron, if you sit on the river Cam long enough lederging a bunch of worms you just might run into one....eventually....

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Don't forget the Old West river, which I believe was the place the last known Burbot was caught. I also believe that John I'anson is still out there looking for one!!

Colin

R

Ray Bewick

Phillip et al - Perhaps we could geneticaly engineer the Burbot & produce "jurrasic Burbot"

The serenity of a Carp, the majestic power of a Barbel, the cold ruthlessness of a Pike .......and the six foot jaw, edged with 10 inch razor sharp, flesh rending teeth, of a Burbot.

Solves the problem of selling the idea - now what hook length material should I use?

P

Philip Inzani

Ray, nice idea although I think we all know what will happen next if the Burbot does become the next "in" fish.....Burbot master rods, Burbot unhooking mats, Burbot buzz bars, Burbot Bivvies and heaven forbid picture of angles donning basball caps with "I'm Burbot Barmy" emblazoned on them.....

PS I reckon Marlin wire would be the best hooklength, in fact if they just changed the label to read "Burbot braid" they could charge double for it!

R

Rob Brownfield

The Burbot (Lota lota) is a memeber of the Cod family. ...although it lives in rivers and deep lakes. About 16 pounds is its maximum size.

There primary food sorce is crusaceans..and hence the reason why they died out in the UK. The poor old crayfish went..and so did the Burbot.

Apparently, they are greedy buggers and are a major competator to other fish species.

The yanks are in two minds wether to protct the Burbot, or let it die out as it has been blammed, rightly or wrongly, for the destruction of salmon fisheries.

So we really want a Cod in our lakes?..lol..they dont fight very well!

E

Eddy Garrett

i dont now about burbot but i have seen goldfish in the Cam.

R

Ray Bewick

Rob - Lota lota, must be ready for a resurgance.

Introduce it into the Kennet, thames etc NOW!;plenty of grub, Signal Crayfish, Mitten crabs etc. The more I think about it the better the idea gets; native to these British Isles ,no problems with it not having its place in the scheme of things, valuable food resource, excellent Big Pike food source.

Burbot & chips twice please!.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ray...might be an idea to introduce it to the thames....I had forgotton how bad it was for u guys with the mitten crabs etc.

R

Ray Bewick

Perhaps we have arrived at the root of Pauls thread...... stocking of species not natural to that country,county, river,stream,lake, pond etc.......... Oh no, here we go again!!!!!!!!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Maybe they don't need restocking. Maybe these burbot dudes are still around up there.

Maybe they just don't like the look of the people who fish lower down the river - see

www.mytrailerpark.com