rear drag and front drag

C

christian tyroll

im looking to buy a new float fishing reel but first of all i probly need to know the difference bettween rear drag and front drag reels!
any help?

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Christian, front drag reels were always regarded to be more responsive and precise than rear, but nowadays with modern reels there isn't very much difference.

G

Ged

Rear drag is easier to control than front, especially when playing a fish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer a rear drag.
Woody has a preference for front drag reels, but I find them quite awkward.
Maybe he will spot this thread and give us the differences.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I you play fish by backwinding then it makes no difference where the drag is located.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I much prefer a rear drag. On top class reels like Shimano the rear drag is just as smooth as a front drag.

When the first rear drag reels appeared - The Abu Cardinals, I dumped my Mitchell 410s immediatly. I consider all front drag reels as being retrograde.

I only backwind on fish when using light tackle - under 5lbs. It's not possible to backwind on really fast moving fish. You just cannot keep up with the speed of the fish. The use of the drag is far more efficient and tires out the fish much quicker.

Even quite small fish can move at a fair rate of knots. Try backwinding a 3 lb small mouth bass for instance when it really opens the throttle.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I always play fish off the clutch large or small and I only have rear drag reels.

Like Baz said, rear drags are easier to adjust, especialy if you have a fish on.

Ron's spot on!

C

christian tyroll

thanks guys for all the good advice,
its only going to be a bottom of the range reel but i would still like to spend my money wisely!

I

Ian Cloke

Christian, don't forget to check out some Okuma reels. They don't cost the earth, and you get a 5 year guarantee ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

There is little difference these between them if they are well made reels.

Rear drags are easier to control whilst you are fighting a fish. Especially those Shimanos with Fighting Drag levers.

However, I have had soem rear drag reels where the adjustment knob is so loose that you can alter it by simply brushing it against your trousers. The shock comes when you strike into a big fish expecting line to pay off and instead you break off because the drag is too tight.

Drags in front are harder to alter accidentally, but at the front their effect is more direct on the spool. I have a Daiwa that is a beautiful tool to use with a front drag and have just purchased a Tica free spool reel with a front drag that looks about the same.

Important thing is, check how stiff or loose the adjustment knob is on the back. Don't get into a panic when you catch a fish and always remember to preset the drag so that it gives before the line parts.

T

tom riordan

I would say it is down to personal preference, one drag has no real advantages over another to me, I prefer front drag myself as I usually have the spool in the palm of my hand when playing a large fish and it is more natural to me to adjust a front drag than having to faff about at the back of the reel. One thing I like to do regularly with a front drag reel, is to get your spools and take out the circlip and clean the double washer that sandwiches the fibre washer of any rust and give it a light oiling with something like corn oil as this will keep the fibre washer expanded, also when you have finished with the reel loosen off the clutch to keep the pressure off the washer.

B

Bully

Philip - free spool is often known as a "baitrunner" - although I think this was termed by Shimano.

Basically you set the reel to "free spool" via a lever and if a fish takes it just peels line off until you pick up the rod and wind in, which ceases the free spool and just puts you back into normal fighting drag mode. You can adjust the tension of the free spool as well.

Basically its for those who fish at night while asleep (or like me, who falls asleep any time I fish/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif)

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Christian , Get yourself one of the cheap shimano's rear drag for floatfishing , onlyabout 20-25 £