Decent stove

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Hi all, Can anyone reccomend a good stove for all weather conditions?
I think im going to need a good one if the weather predictions for the coming months are correct, ive made do with a camping gaz one for too long now and need something a bit better.
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

dicey dave

Reaction score
Try a trangia (or trangia style cooker) I have one and find it excellent, much better than a gas stove.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I don't like the Colman stoves one little bit. They smell and there is all that horrid pumping involved. They remind me of the ancient Primus stoves where it was quite an art to get them going.

Give me a simple gaz stove or similar.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Gas, wait a little longer in the winter months for it to boil if you have too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to agree with both Ron and Wol - whilst the Coleman multi fuels are well made and reliable the smell and the messing around can be a right pain.

Gas on the other hand does take a little while longer to boil in the winter but is far more convenient and your hands won't get tainted with fuel.

J

jason fisher

for a gas one cuddle the bottle for 10 minutes before lighting it in winter this will speed it up.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Just bought the Primus Gravity spider stove and its the dogs danglies.

With gas it is better to warm it, like Jason said.

M

matt thomas

well i don't mind the petrol and i never run out,the coleman sportster is pants and has a habit of flaring up and burning bivvies

if you do want a petrol stove then get an msr whiskerlight,folds down to nothing and is very economical but you need two bottles.

primus gravity looks a nice bit of kit but have never used one so can't comment.

mind you if mr Gaunt says gas then go gas as he's probably done more session fishing than ive had hot dinners (or cold,could'nt get stove to work lol)

F

Frothey

just got an msr whisperlite as i needed the space....i'll let you know how good it is next week!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I nearly got an MSR pocket rocket which looks good if you just need to heat things up from a tin, or do a cuppa.

P

paul williams 2

The MSR pocket rocket is a superb bit of kit and it really can fit in yer pocket!(excluding gaz bottle, which fits in the other pocket!)....shield it from the wind and nothing will give you a faster fresh brew than anything else........and the tit is right, gaz is the thing......who wants to stink of petrol and faf about priming things?

There are at least 3 sizes of bottle to put on to the rocket, and the small one will fit into any warmish place......even a very small warm place Wol ;)

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Thanks for your help lads, The msr pocket rocket sounds goos as does the primus gravity spider stove, I think what i'll do is give it another week or so and decide on one of them two unless Frothey persuades me with the msr whisperlite.
All the best,
Steve.

W

Wolfman Woody

I had a Coleman blow out on me once and the petrol caught fire and burnt my hand. However, they do work well in all weather conditions including the coldest of frosts.

Gas, the other hand, doesn't. Once the bottle gets below half-full it looses its pressure in the extreme cold and kettles take ages to boil.

Here's a couple of tips though. When you are looking forward to a cuppa, take the gaz bottle and shove down your quilted jacket to warm up and build up the pressure again.

Secondly, Wrap one or two layers of kitchen foil around your kettle to insulate it a little more. This will help it to boil quicker.

You could also add a tiny amount of salt to the water (?tspn to 1 litre) which helps it boil faster and, believe it or not, make the coffee or tea taste a lot richer. Surprising eh?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Obviously the ideal camping stove has not been invented yet.

The best of all was a pack of ironwood - a bushveld wood only found in Africa. Start this, have a few bits to feed it and it would cook your food for a week. It was so hard, it would sink in water at about a foot a second.

And keep away all the dodgy animals.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's better in black coffee Bill. Salt is just a flavour enhancer after all.

About 1/8th of a teaspoon in a cup to start with and not too many times a day.

Ever tried black pepper on strawberries? No cream.

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Got to agree with Frothey, check the american sites. Just checked out of curiosity. U.K. M.S.R Dragonfly, ?115.00.Same item in the states $66.00.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Frothey, which yank sites have you been looking at?

I might still get a pocket rocket.