fishing on the ribble

Paul Morley

Reaction score
If you archive John Conway's FM contribution, it's all there!! Because it's so heavily fished you won't get very specific info on locations, Garry Knowles features are also excellent, but most of what you find is technical. Considering nearly all success on the Ribble is location, this is not so useful if you have a basic grasp of Barbel fishing on a bigger river. Dave Lumb's blog is good and similar in content. Trying to make it interesting and book worthy is a tricky one.

The bad one

Reaction score
The problem with the Ribble from a book writing point of view is it's clubed up and very few dayticket lengths. Many of the controlling Clubs have a no publicity policy.
For someone to write such a book, they would, without permission from the clubs, put their membership at risk.
If however, someone did write a book about the river who no longer fishes the river and is no longer in the controlling clubs, the info would be old and out of date.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Darren,

What sort of book had you in mind? A guide to where to fish, how to fish or something a bit more prose?

As 'the bad one' says 'where to fish' is unlikely to happen because of the reticence of most Clubs (and their members) to highlight the good pegs. However if you join one of the Clubs then members will generally try and be helpful.

'How to fish' accounts do appear in the magazines (often in the late lamented Coarse Fisherman) and a visit to a local tackle store is often a good source (hence support your local tackle dealer!). As Paul says John Conway is a dilligent reporter on conditions and methods on these pages.

As far as a work of prose is concerned then I can think of nothing that touches directly on the Ribble.

M

darren rosie

Reaction score
I wasnt after anything specific just wondered if anybody had wrote a book about the ribble, which could obviously help with my own fishing.