mid autumn to winter ?

Matty C

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

I usually only go fishing for carp at the beginning of the season before I move to the river, but I was reading somewhere that they feed up quite hard during autumn, getting ready for an unresponsive winter.. If this is so, any help would be appreciated.. Is it worth a bash, if so, how should I feed ?
Normal summer feeding, or should I go for the lighter approach ?

Cheers guys
Matt

C

Cakey

how it is out there now I would carry on with summer tactics

F

Frothey

i think the days of the big autumn feed up seem to have disspeared.....weather(!) its down to increased pressure, fish oils or the whether(!) who knows....

B

Big Rik

when the lakes were shut for spring and we had normal weather (e.g. a proper summer and then a cold winter) the carp really used to go on the munch in autumn time.
It used to be late Sept/early Oct, but with everything all arse about face with the weather and the constant pressure from anglers, then I haven't experienced this for quite a few years.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Doesn't look like it Rik. But perhaps I might expand the original question to include river carp. Do they tend to feed heavily before the bad weather arrives?

C

Cakey

trouble is it changes from venue to venue ..........I know lakes that fish all year round and a couple where you can catch from under the ice ,I no of others that totally shut down(carp wise) for the winter..............

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Lots of people think they will have a feed up at this time of year which means more pressure more bait etc etc i will be going for single tigers for a while

W

William Spencer

apparently we are in for a cold winter,so surely the fish will let us know what they want with their feeding pattern.must admit rik,up here in notts the winters of old where we had 4 foot snow drifts are long gone(doesn't help if the local authorities are spraying silver iodide in the air to disperse the snow clouds).global warming?difficult question to ask.scientists have proved that every so many hundred thousand years the earth heats up and the poles flip,sending the world into an ice age,they even suggest we are long overdue as we are overdue for a flu epidemic(some shit on the radio on about a chicken flu).
back on to the point of winter doesn't the water in the british isles never drop below 4 degrees celsius?thermocline?or something like that.so if the ground temp is below zero the water is never below 4 degrees?
did see a couple of carp topping yesterday on the res mind.