TFG Compact Seat Box

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Got one from Santa but I haven't used it yet. That said I was sufficiently impressed to tell Santa where to find them.Time will tell but I wanted something for semi moble/short scramble stuff other than a bag & chair. At first inspection it doesn't seem to have a huge capacity but that's no bad thing and I'd have preferred a proper pocket on the back rather than a harness.

The double box idea I do like. I plan to use one for river bits and t'other for lake and just take whichever...freeing up a bit more space inside.Frankly...if its seatbox you want then its either a plastic skip or a match style thing and I didn't want either.

I dont do long sessions so this [I hope] will be ideal. It will certainly stop me carrying the shedloads of gear that I normally do simply because it lives in my box. I am fed up transferring stuff between bags/boxes depending on where I'm going/what I'm doing.This will contain my basic "permanent" outfit backed up with a carryall for bait etc.

Reminds me of an old Stephens seatbox I had years ago.Brilliant thing.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I used to have a Stephens Seat Box aswell, until the mice got at it.

With the TFG one, if used with both tackleboxes in place, is there any room at the bottom for a small flask, lunch & a set of packed down lightweight waterproofs ??.

Would you suggest that the unit itself is small enough to carry comfortably with the rucksack attachments ??

Finally ..... Is the seat a thick padding or just a token gesture ??

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Right...in order.

1. Yep...there's room for that but maybe not a lot else. A reel or two but the external padded pockets are for reels I guess but personally I dont like reels in sticky out pockets.Too vulnerable.Soft sides help...you should be able to stuff eg a jacket or fleece in easily.

2. I think so. Its designed to be carried like this and frankly it wont be that heavy because it wont take a load of gear...hence "compact" I guess.Its a funny thing size wise...it probably looks smaller than it actually is. Not being a fan of rucksacks I may [not yet] cut the harness off so I can use the pocket for something else...though its quite narrow front to back..this is where I was thinking my lightweight rainjacket would go. Not too big to put you off moving swims or walking just that bit further.

3.Its a proper firm,fixed,well padded seat.What I particularly liked was that with the mud feet at "standard" height my thighs were level and feet flat on the ground. I've got long legs and my plastic skip is a bit low. This bit has been thought about and I think they've got it right. For me its perfect AND it zips open so i can get at stuff without having to stand up.

Design-wise my only criticisms are

The harness....I'd have gone for a deeper,useable pocket and ditched the harness.
There's nowhere to fix a simple side or bait tray which I'd have liked.I may have to rig something up.

On the whole I'm pretty happy but I wont really know until I've transferred some gear in and tried it out a couple of times.Seems pretty solidly put together...good zips etc.

Yep...I think Santa did OK BUT as I said I particularly DID NOT want a match type seat box OR another plastic skip. I have chairs for "sit & wait" stuff...this is for when I'm "working" ie casting & feeding a lot.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks again. I think i'm going to give it a go. I will probably only use on of the tacklebox at a time, so will gain a little more room. I was going to go down the plastic seatbox route, but also hate the fact i have to stand up to get in it and i dont want the extra weight, expemse or complications of a "proper" seatbox.
I still intend taking an additional small chair for longer days anyway (bad back), but this TFG looks ideal for quicker few hours grabbed here & there

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Not seen this in the shops, but looks ok, had a read up on it.

Let us know what you think please guys. Would be nice with a back rest...:wh:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Oh blimey....I hope you like it then.:eek:

I can't see me ever using it with the two boxes so that should give a bit more room inside.I'd be surprised if I could get everything I need in it...but I always carry a Korum "bits" bag in any case for bait/flask etc.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Not seen this in the shops, but looks ok, had a read up on it.

Let us know what you think please guys. Would be nice with a back rest...:wh:D

No pleasing some people...or some people's backs it seems. Take a chair you poor old sod !:D

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Oh blimey....I hope you like it then.:eek:

I can't see me ever using it with the two boxes so that should give a bit more room inside.I'd be surprised if I could get everything I need in it...but I always carry a Korum "bits" bag in any case for bait/flask etc.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

No pleasing some people...or some people's backs it seems. Take a chair you poor old sod !:D

Thats why I said it would be good if it had a back rest, no chair required, therefore less to carry. I could get all i need in there easy, but i have a very good rucksack anyway, so i would have to have a very close look at this first.

Anyway, your a lot OLDER than me.........:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Ha ha ha...not THAT much older you saucy git but fortunately I do not suffer from paper hangers back.You could indeed get all your gear in it. If it had wheels the Clarkes could easily use it for a touring holiday.

I have a very good rucksack but sadly I just could not get on with it & to this day I do not know why I bought it. Dunno why...just dont like it.

Anyway...knowing you,you'd end up sat on your unhooking mat like a little gnome using the box as a back rest.

Last edited:

red creel

Reaction score
Got one of these myself a few months ago and so far am very impressed with the build quality and general practicality of this product.I use mine primarily for floatfishing on rivers where it has certainly proved its worth.

Personally i ditched the tackle boxes supplied with it(they were more useful for other types of fishing) and spread a few of the soft pouch type accesory boxes throughout the outside pockets.If i know i will be legering all day then i would still stick to my low chair and haversack but for trotting this box is ideal.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Ha ha ha...not THAT much older you saucy git but fortunately I do not suffer from paper hangers back.You could indeed get all your gear in it. If it had wheels the Clarkes could easily use it for a touring holiday.

I have a very good rucksack but sadly I just could not get on with it & to this day I do not know why I bought it. Dunno why...just dont like it.

Anyway...knowing you,you'd end up sat on your unhooking mat like a little gnome using the box as a back rest.

Hahaha.

It's not very often i sit down when fishing, on Blenhiem yes, but unless i am fishing for a few days or a very long day, i tend to move around, and dont bother with a seat.

I remember sitting on my old match seat box, and the days of the baskets, but i dont do that kind of fishing any more.
Will check it out and see what they are like.

i like the idea, just not sure its for me at the moment.

flightliner

Reaction score
The box looks a nice bit of kit but other than tackle it seems to me that both hands will need to be carrying bags for things like food/drinks/groundbait/nets etx and the interior box shown seems to have no lengthy compartment for long loaded wagglers-- does the other one have one? My box is scrounged plywood that I made back in the seventies after my old wicker basket fell to pieces in a coachpark nr the Witham, IT'S BIG! but everything goes in it leaving me hands free for things like fences/ stiles/hillocks. Over the years i've added adjustable legs,a backrest, and another bit of ply doubles up as a seat when the top is up acting as my backrest or a bait table depending on how I am fishing. It must be almost forty years old now and its had almost no looking after 'cept for any old black/green/brown paint thrown at it --- it looks B----y awful, and all for a cost of thirty pence for the hinges (its a Yorkshire thing !) but I wouldnt be without it which is just as well as my nearest and dearest keeps telling me----- one day it is going to be used as a coffin!!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Well....me and Parksy have had a right good look at my TFG box. Him with his "ingineeer" head on and me with my "I've got to carry this" head on. It passed the Parksy test which is no mean feat ! Bigger capacity than we thought...both the seatbox and the internal lockboxes which can be configured however you like and even his not insignificant ar$e fits on the seat. I an pretty confident I can get all I need in this comfortably without it ending up weighing a ton. Its well thought out .

Yes...for non minimalists like Ray you will need probably need another bag for food/bait etc but I always carry one anyway. I've not come up with any further dislikes other those I already mentioned ie that I'd have ditched the harness for a deeper back pocket and that theres no way to fix a side tray....but the Big Fellah is working on that.

Still not filled and field tested it though but well worth a look.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
How much gear do you take with you Skippy ??

If i am out trotting for a day, it's a small bag, maggots go in a bait pouch, bread is in the bag, sometimes i dont even take that.

i have many a time just had a small bucket with mashed bread, bait pouch, and the floats, shot, etc go in my pockets.

Landing net and a rod.

I will have to have a sort out of my gear, over the years i have taken less and less tackle.

I can see a tackle sale coming on.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Ray...you have no idea how much gear I am capable of taking "just in case".

I am much better than I was but unless I know EXACTLY what I'm going to do it is not unusual for me to have at least 4-6 rods and reels. That however is not the problem. The problem is that if I'm planning to move around but want to sit down at some point [I am much older than you as you kindly pointed out] then I will take my faithful Daiwa skip and that means the top box goes with it and so do all the feeders/leads that live in it etc. If I clear it out I'm left with a mound of tackle & nowhere to put it.As it stands I have at least 4 proper bags full in the shed plus a couple of big plastic bags full of reels/bits etc.Its this anarchy I'm trying to cut out.

I'm trying to go "modular" . The skip will be "One Ton Camp" and live in the shed and depending on what I'm doing one or t'other lockbox will go in my new seatbox plus a couple of reels. This is for my "pleasure" fishing...if I'm "sit & waiting" then it will be bag & chair...or possibly seatbox & chair. The trouble with bags/rucksacks etc is that I end up with stuff all over the ground around me...I am a messy ****** anyway and an even messier angler.

If I were a one species/one method/one water angler it would not be so bad...but I'm not. I do just about everything except carp & pike and [God help me] I have a sudden insane urge to catch a zander so that will be another bagful unless I'm careful. Thank God I dont overnight or there would be a bivvy & bedchair too !

I'm mad...and its getting harder & harder to carry all this stuff. I need a clearout too....there is more gear in my shed than in my local shop...and a good bit of its less ancient too !

And unlike you I dont have E17 to help carry the old man's gear ! I'm training a ghillie up but he's not quite ready yet.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
E17 carry my gear, I bloody wish.........more like i carry theirs...:mad:

I have differennt bags for different fishing also, Pike bag that doubles up for Zander and Perch.

A bag for the long weekends, i dont have anything in it, umtil i know where and what i am going for.

Boxes, well i must have 6 or 7 all for different methods, feeder, float, Carp, Pike, Tench /Bream, and a box if i am roving and doing a bit of float/ feeder fishing.

Rucksack on my back, chair and a holdall.

Time you got yourself a Bivvy and Bedchair for next season, and get yourself onto That tench lake, I will get E17 to come and rake the swim for you.......:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Do me a favour...its like the Mekong down there ! There is no way I'm lugging a bivvy/bedchair up and down those gnome paths .But I do need to have a proper go at that place...once E17 have raked & pre-baited a swim & carried me there in a sedan chair of course. :D

I've packed the new box and it swallowed my brutally slimmed down kit no problem.Still got 5 reels in it and more "stuff" than I really need though ! Amazing what you find when you sort your box out...I had no idea I had 15 disgorgers ! :eek: