Stick Float Rod

Beecy

Reaction score
It?s coming to the time of year when I need to think about writing my letter to Santa. This year I?m going to ask him for a nice new stick float rod.

Can anyone recommend any?

I?m looking for something about 14-15ft, light and slim with a nice soft top to cope with 1lb bottoms but a bit of meat in reserve. I?m not too keen on spliced tips unless the blend is good. Fast wobble recovery is also important.

Ideally it will cost no more than ?100 but I?m sure Santa could find an extra few quid if need be.

J

jason fisher

you cant get a spliced tip rod for less than 150 anyway matey believe me i tried last year ended up getting a 1`3 foot daiwa for nigh on 2 ton

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Have a look at MAP.

I have a MAP ultralight float rod and it's perfect for light stick float work.

It's 13 feet but I think they do a 14 footer.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The MAP looks good and a good friend of mine has one rates it highly. He's a very good stick float angler.

The Preston Sentient looks very good too.

I've not had a proper look but the Daiwa Spectronn and the new Fox Envoy might be worth a gander too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
MAP are okay until you break a section and try to get it replaced - even if you are prepared to pay for it! From my own experience it was a great waste of time - that was the last MAP rod I ever bought, or am likely to buy in the future.

The Preson Sentinent is a nice rod but I think it is a lot more than ?100.

The Normark Titan was a great rod, see if you can pick up a decent second hand version.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Greys Bewick 13/15 also 16/18. But i belive they have stopped making it. I have the 13/15 lovely if anybody see's the 16/18 anywhere let me know please.

They have now brought out the prodigy Float at 13' not seen it but if its as good as the Power Float it a lovely rod.

My usuall Greys bias i know but its the only rod i can comment on.

Beecy

Reaction score
Cheers lads, I'll have a look at all the ones mentioned.

Its a shame is'nt it that theres not a lot of choice these days, ive been looking on the net all day and most manufacturers are only realy catering for the match carp market.

Red6

Reaction score
Preston Sentient is 'The Dogs' nice and light and really responsive - Haggle a bit with the tackle shop. I got mine for a ton.

Ian

J

jason fisher

then again the spectron should be good for nigh on 200 quid

J

john ledger

Preston Sentinent might cost a few quid extra but its a great rod.
I have the 15 to 17 Carbonactive and that also is a great rod.
Difference between the MAP and Carbonactive is the Preston rod will stop a train as well as being delicate enough for the lightest stick float set up. The MAP is a very good rod though

J

john ledger

Suprised a Wednesday supporter would know how to handle a precision instrument. More used to meat pies

I

Ian Cloke

I've got the sentient 15-17, it's a great rod. Like John says, it has finness but can stop a train if needed.

Paul B

Reaction score
Bryan, give stapeley water gardens a ring. They had both of the bewicks in when I was last there(coupla weeks back).

J

john ledger

Dave
At the end of the day its not the rod but the angler using it.You can set up or see some anglers with the most expensive tackle but they would be better off knitting.
One of the main problems i always see with the stickfloat is how many anglers do not shot correctly or even better still only use two rubbers on the float.Your last rubber should always be well proud of the bottom of the float and the float should be shotted until it sinks before removing the smallest shot.
Amazes me how some anglers will always go for big shot to save time instead of shotting in small groups

Beecy

Reaction score
I know what you meen about the shotting John ive seen it too, lads fishing a 7x4 stick with 2x AAA.

Since they banned lead ive used nothing but 8's - a right ball ache to do on a big stick!

I did start putting them on winders at one time but stopped as I dont trust the joining knot to the mainline and don't want to risk losing any of my precious Dave Pearson lignums or original Allertons.