power gum?

C

christian tyroll

ive just been reading about and looking at the roach rig, and it talks about power gum i was just wondering what is it?
anyhelp would be great!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's like pole elastic mate, only stronger.
I use it for tying sliding stop knots or for putting a loop of it on a feeder, then tying to a paternoster, as it cushions the weight when casting.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the past I have used it for tying a three pound hookling to five pound mainline.
At the end of the mainline, attatch a 10" piece of powergum by a small rig ring, and at the other end of the powergum attach a 3lb hooklink. I did this so that I could use a finer hooklink on a water where I normally had to use 5lb but I needed to go smaller in my hooklink diameter and it worked.
Also I never lost anything or got snapped off.
I was chubbing at the time,and the biggest was 4lb plus, with no chance of anything bigger taking the bait.
It worked the same as a pole angler useing fine diameter lines. In that the powergum took the strain.

C

christian tyroll

ahh clever!
if the float never came up as far as the gum, so you have a long leader, could this be used for float fishing?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used it for ledgering Christian.

I had a half ounce weight on the line first, then a bead, then a powergum stop knot which could be slid up the mainline to create a long or short hooklength as I wished. The powergum was then tyed to the mainline via a swivel or ring, followed by a smaller diameter hooklink.

It would work the same for a float set up. As I say, it is just the same as a pole set up really. The powergum does a lot of the work, but enables you to use a finer hooklink.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I might be wrong(usually am) but i think it first came on the seen for fly anglers stripping big lures. To help stop the snap off when a big fish hit fast and hard.

N

NottmDon

Years back we used to use powergum on our feeders,again to cushion the shock when casting.Its pretty good stuff for tying stop knots with and for those who dont like clipping up (me for one), it can be used as a marker on your mainline as a casting accuracy aid.

TonyStone

Reaction score
I use it for stop knots when piking, never used it for anything else though.

fred hall

Reaction score
My flirtations with power gum didn't last long because I could never tie a decent knot in the stuff. What knots do you folk use?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I double the end over to make a loop, turn the powergum around its self half a dozen times and push the free end back through its own loop. Tighten, then superglue it.