ie spell checker

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
-but it has no idea that you meant "setting"!
When we get one that can select from "to", "too", and "two"; and "there", their" and "they're", that'll be progress.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Spell checkers make people lazy !!

LEARN how to spell

I can't understand why people can't spell--surely EVERYONE was taught how to spell at school ....

C

Clive Evans 1

I can't understand it either, Ed.
There were no illiterates in my years at secondary-modern. If you couldn't read it, write it, or spell it, you stayed in till you could! No argument.

I dont know whether it's the teacher or the child at fault today, but there's definitely something wrong in education.

E

It just completely baffles me too Clive ...

Its either laziness on the part of the pupil or the teacher

E

I thought dyspraxia was the painful functioning of an organ .....

C

Clive Evans 1

I used to tune pipe-organs.
That was certainly painful on the ears.

I

Ian Cloke

I think it's bust! ;o)

Eye halve a spelling chequer;
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye can knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write.
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee four two long;
An dye can put the era rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it.
I'm sheer your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh;
My chequer tolled me sew.

B

Bill Eborn

This one only works in Internet Explorer, although if you are a Firefox user like me there is one called Spellbound you can install, although I can't for some reason I can't quite understand, so I guess for now I'll have to carry on writing stuff in word and then copying it over.

I'm blessed with the other condition that Chavender mentioned, although I don't personally call it an abnormality. What you have to remember is that alphabet based scripts are a comparatively recent invention, dating back as I understand it, to about 5,000 BC, which is a blink of an eye really. My theory is that language developed to suit the non-dyslexic brain. If the majority of people were dyslexic, our written forms of communication would have developed differently and it would be the non-dyslexics that would be considered 'abnormal'.

Another interesting theory that I came across relates to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, another member of the family of so called 'conditions' along with Dyslexia and Dyspraxia. This theory suggests that when mankind was living in a state of nature and hunting to survive, a capacity to switch from intense activity to disengagement may have put the subject at a competitive advantage. In other words perhaps a touch of ADHD or it's allied conditions, could help an angler, at least as far as more active styles like lure fishing or roving techniques are concerned.

The approach of the old style Secondary Modern teacher that Clive mentioned may have worked for the lazy scrote, for us lot though, it often did a lot of damage and could blight people for life.

I was lucky to find a teacher in my last year at secondary school who spotted it. It was too late to rescue my school career but at least I knew that I wasn't as thick as less enlightened teachers had been telling me for years.

Cheers

Bill