Leader strength for 7wt rod

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

What's the lightest leader/tippet you would match with a 7wt rod.
Fishing tomorrow and apparently they are taking drys so I'm wondering how light I could go if I need to.

Cheers

S

Shrek

It's more a question of what size fish you're expecting to encounter and how hard a fight you're going to come up against. The line weight doesn't normally come into the equation.

Personally I'd not go lighter than 6lb at this time of year as you'll be likely to encounter some agressive feeding fish as they stock up for the winter.

Where are you fishing?

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks Adrian,

I'm fishing at Rib Valley. I'm still fairly new to this fly fishing lark - is 6lb ok for dry flies? (Fulling Mill tapered mono leader with fluro tippet)

S

Shrek

Yes, sounds fine to me. Just make sure you run it through some fullers earth, or equivalent, to make sure it sinks below the surface.

What dries are you going to use? I'd reckon on Daddies and Hoppers.

Weeman

Reaction score
Daddies and hoppers are exactly what I bought today so hopefully they'll do the business.
Do I need to degrease the whole leader or just the tippet?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I often use a 4 lb leader with a 7 weight outfit.

But I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner or a gorilla fisted person.

6 lb is probably better.

I have landed 8 lb rainbows on 4 lb line in open water, but not after a long fight.

If you are using a shortish leader say less than 9 feet with one dry fly, degrease the lot.

Using a long leader with two or more dries, the first 9 foot should be OK. remember with fluoro leaders, they are heavier than fluro and have a tendency to drown the fly.

S

Shrek

One tip though, if you're not having any interest in your dry fly set, be prepared to change and keep changing until you find what they are taking. This may mean swapping your fly every 20 minutes.

Also, don't stay in one place for too long either, stay fairly mobile and go and find the fish.

Have an excellent day and let us know how you get on.

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps.

Went this morning and caught 2 on sunk daddies - superb. Had to leave after a couple of hrs to take the wife shopping, much to my disgust.

They wouldn't look at the drys though, I started on them but gave up. Also, I degresed the leader and found that that the fly and fly line gradually came closer together as the leader sank. Probably doesn't matter but I just don't feel confident with so much line hanging underwater (a hang up from my floating crust/chub fishing).
Since taking up fly fishing the whole leader question is the one area that I have the most doubts over - too long, too short, tapered, non-tapered etc. Its something that will come with more experience i suppose.

I'm definitely loving fly fishing though - wish I'd tried it sooner. Can't wait till I'm a bit more proficient, then I'm going to go Chub hunting on the fly next summer - Heaven!

S

Shrek

Glad you managed to catch and that you didn't stick with the one method.

Keep at it.