One last cast

Red6

Reaction score
You know the old addage 'I will just have one last cast' - Well here's a tale of woe to make you think twice before doing it.

Having had a cracking mornings trotting on the local river today, I had promised her indoors that I would be home about 1 ish to do my chores. Trudging back down the bank towards the car, waders on, rod in one hand, landing net in the other, I spied a nice looking swim and thought, ah well, another 10 minutes won't hurt.

The banks in this area are about 8ft high and fairly steep, but I have been there loads of times so was used to the descent, not this time though! Got half way down, caught my wader on a bramble, and went arse over apex straight in the oggin! Oh dear what a silly chap I thought (well something like that anyway), as I was grovvling around, up to my chest in slime and gunge. Managed to drag my self out and then thought oh bo**ocks, my phone - hand in the pocket of the barbour, one dripping wet, non functioning mobile. Got back to the car where a couple of chaps were just setting up, theres me drenched from head to foot, they did smile! Stripped all my kit off and drove home in my undies, arrived in the drive, and the neighbours were outside. What do you do when you are sat there in just your jockeys, oh stuff it I thought and got out of the car. Had a good day they said, oh yeah, wonderfull.

By the way, the mrs got the blame because if she had not wanted me home so early it wouldn't have happened, and then she had the cheek to say 'you are not putting that in my washing machine. Women eh - who'd have em !!!

J

jason fisher

welcome to the club, its a very select one and can only be joined by brothers of the angle such as us who have demonstrated gross incompetence in hilarious fashion while in persuit of the sport.

N

NottmDon

lol! Remember a few years back fishing with a mate who liked to talk more than he liked to fish. He was chatting away to me in my peg as a bigger than average barge went by that created 'quite a wave' a few seconds later my mates box floated past,he looked at it, I looked at it, and he then said "I've got a box just like that" then the penny dropped! Fortunately my landing net was handy and he got it back,complete with his side tray and disgorger and bait box,lucky git.Same guy is now winning all the club matches... as Victor Meldrew would say "I dont bloody beleive it" :)

Andyw

Reaction score
The other day whilst shooing away a swan who fancied a munch on my loose feed and groundbait... My mobile slipped from my pocket into the canal... I leant in and after a bit of groping found my truly sh*gged phone... I was so abusive to that swan you wouldn't believe... I had only had the phone a day or 2.... Gutted!!

Only good thing was that Wollies took the phone back... although I didn't tell them it had been to the bottom of the Grand Union Canal...

From now on I'll keep my phone safe!!

G

Ged

Had a fishing trip to a local lake but had to hike there for last two miles. Water level was down as I approached the lake so took a short cut over the feeder stream. As I jumped the stream, I landed on the opposite bank but it was softer than the take of side. Ended up with my right leg stuck in mud up to my boll...x. Left leg out to the side high hurdle style.
Spent the rest of the day fishing in over trousers and odd length socks.

Beecy

Reaction score
Once on a club match on the forty foot I was busy tackling up when to my left i heard "woooooaaaaaaahhhh", I looked round just in time to see a guy fully laden with all the gear RUN down the steep bank and dive head first into the drink. The bloke on the other side of him shouted "you f****n tw*t, if we catch nowt now, your going in again"

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hahahahaaaaaaa, better still Beecy. I wish we could get these moments on film.

Red6

Reaction score
Cheers Baz, I thought that my downhill wader skiing exploits might make you lot chuckle. Perhaps it should be an Olympic sport.

I'll tell you what though - you don't half feel a prat sat in the river, fortunately though there was nobody that saw me take a dive.

The good news is - I managed to keep my cigar going !!!

Ian

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Anyone who has fished the Severn at Atcham will know just how high and dangerous the bank is there. We'd had a reasonably good mornings fishing there and decided to go over the road for a couple of pints at lunchtime, when we came out it was tipping it down and by the time we got back to our pegs we were soaked.

I stood at the top of the bank looking down to my peg about 20 feet below and wondering "how the hell do I get down there". A split second later I thought "yes, thats how" as I hurtled past my box straight into the river.

Never been there since, bad vibes.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I saw was when me and a mate were walking down the side of a lake.
It was very boggy and the mate who was in front leading the way, lost his footing, as he was lay there on his back in the mud, with his hand outstretched and an expression on his face that said please help me, I couldn't do anything for laughing, as his heavy tackle box pulled him back down every time he tried to get up. He was covered in black slimy sh!!e.

On another occasion the same mate on the same water was walking in front of me, this time he had a clean pair of pants on and a pair of white running shoes.
It was level walking as he had just spent some time putting the new walk ways down.
Then for some reason he tripped, and instead of keeping to the walk way, he couldn't stop himself and ran into the lake up to his knees. Don't you just love it when these things happen?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I managed to leave my phone in my pocket of my shorts whilst swimming in the ebro for 40 minutes. When i realised eaht I'd done I took it to bits dried what i could on a towel and shook all of the water i could our of it. Then i left the phone in bits in the sun for the whole of the next day. When I put it back together it worked although it was a little crackly for a month or so afterwards.

F

Fred Bonney

I've got a mate 6'8 tall and about 24 stone.
Twice I've taken him fishing,the first time at Severals,no steep bank there and the second time on the Wensum,no steep bank for a hundred miles.
Both times for no obvious reason,he fell in,laugh me? I was laughing so much i was as wet as he was!
He's taken up shooting now.......I don't go anywhere near him.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
When I was a boy many years ago, my mate slid into the river, it was P******G down, very muddy and slippery.

He Bobbed twice, coughing and spluttering!
I Yanked him out by his hair, he had waders on, he was a gonner!

He still says to this day, I saved his life!

Whatever!!!!! it was F*****G Funny!

And it was really hard dragging that fat git out of the water with his waders on!

If you aint caught nowt all day, don't bother with one last cast!

Blunderer

Reaction score
I fished on a long platform once with my brolly up. the brolly took up most of the platform. The bailiff came down the platform for my ticket money, I tried to ease myself around the brolly, missed my footing, fell 3 foot into the drink. He was laughing so much he didn't take my money

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
During my 'married' days that one last cast got me into more trouble then enough.

These days I can have as amny 'last cats' as I like, so there are some advantages in divorce.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Went Wading with a spinning rod on a local water and it was only a few hours later I realised my phone had been in my pocket. Haven't bothered buying another one since.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I don't really feel at home on a water till i've fallen in it at least once.

unhooking mat seats and wet banks make brilliant toboggans.

i've fallen out of trees into lakes, skidded down wet banks, fallen down hole in a canal towpath straight into the canal, tripped opver a mates landing net pole and took both of us into the trent.

walked off the end of a perfectly servicable wooden pontoon in to a lake because i was watching the water not the floor and fallen off a bridge while triyng to see what was under neath it.

once ended up in the canal in sheffield and just as i was wringing out my underwear two women appeared out of the boat straight accross from me.