Stupid question time ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I;m possibly having a mental block with this, but i'm looking at getting the new range of Drennan 13ft Series 7 float rods. I like these as the bottom 1foot butt section unscrews (dolly butt) allowing the rod to be stored ready made 6ft length.

Having thought about this & possibly confusing myself, am i right in thinking that the extra foot gained where the butt screws in, will only increase the handle length below the reel & have no relevance on the length of the rod from reel upwards .... so effectively above the reel will be the same as fishing with a 12ft rod ??

Does any of that make sense :confused::confused:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes. I have a fly rod which accepts an extra butt-extension to convert it into a lure rod, same sort of thing, and it works well.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
But if stick float fishing where length above the reel is more important, am i right in thinking the extra length screwed below the reel will not help ??

stikflote

Reaction score
well no it wont,really, but if you are holding rod lower down

isnt that pushing rod out further?

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
well no it wont,really, but if you are holding rod lower down

isnt that pushing rod out further?

I've just spoken with another tackleshop & they confirm that the "useable" length (above the reel) is the same as any 13ft rod. I hate buying stuff like this blind but sometimes needs must

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It is fashionable to keep rods set up with reel and line and two 6ft sections is ideal for that, better than 3 shorter sections. so by removing the dolly section it is 6ft long when stored..
but it is a 13ft rod when assembled.....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It is fashionable to keep rods set up with reel and line and two 6ft sections is ideal for that, better than 3 shorter sections. so by removing the dolly section it is 6ft long when stored..
but it is a 13ft rod when assembled.....

Fashionable ? Plain daft IMO. We've been here before but I simply refuse to see the advantage of 2 x 6 foot sections over 3 x 4 foot sections. I cannot see how rods in 6 foot sections are anything other than a complete pain to store/transport. I have several 12 ft 2 piecers and everyone is a complete pain when not in use...dont fit anything or anywhere.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have a free spirit 13 ft two piece, have no problems with it, and have no problems with any other 12ft two piece set ups.

I also store my 13ft 3 piece rods made up. Why waste time making up rods on the bank when you can do it at home.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I agree, and perhaps because i spend most my angling carp fishing so used to having it set up, but just feeding the line throught the multiple small rings everytime is enough to send me "do-lally", let alone setting up the rige everytime. Give me a 2 piece rod every time :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I have a free spirit 13 ft two piece, have no problems with it, and have no problems with any other 12ft two piece set ups.

I also store my 13ft 3 piece rods made up. Why waste time making up rods on the bank when you can do it at home.

Because they are a pain to fit in the car & I really can't see that the 45 seconds saved is worth the hassle. If it works for you then I'm pleased but I dont have room to keep my rods permanently made up and even if I did I wouldn't.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

I agree, and perhaps because i spend most my angling carp fishing so used to having it set up, but just feeding the line throught the multiple small rings everytime is enough to send me "do-lally", let alone setting up the rige everytime. Give me a 2 piece rod every time :D

Blimey. Is this what carp fishing does to you ? :D Always a new rig for me every time. Always.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm with Skippy on this one - I have a couple of 2pce 12ftrs for barbel and they are a pain! Also can't get into the habit of leaving them set up, I simply must start from scratch every time!

At the other end of the scale, my favourite rods (several!) are my fly rods, usually 4pce 9ftrs. Stick 'em in the bag inside the tube and chuck them in the boot or attach them to my small shoulder bag... brilliant. Mind you one of them is currently a 5pce... but that's another story!

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
i too am a fan of 2 piece rods. Like to keep the appropriate reels attached with tip and but protectors and use rod bands to transport them. Find it easy to go into the garage grab a sett-up for my intended species and go fishing.

Agree with skippy though always rig up fresh each session, dont like to trust old rigs plus you never know what conditions will be until you get there, best to be adaptive.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I should probably quantify that when i say keep it rigged up, it doesnt include the hooklength :eek::eek:

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
I Have a couple of two piece Drennan serie 7 puddle chuckers 12ft
i keep made up in the ready case they came with,
no problems with them,

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would like to see someone set a rod up in 45 seconds....:wh

I always put a new rig, hooklink on, but the rest stays setup ready to go.

I dont see the point of taking rod bags tubes, holdall etc etc anymore, if i take a holdall the rods are set up in it, and the holdall will only go when i am on a weekend or longer session, as i can get my bivvy in it also.

I used to do the same as Skippy, but just a complete waste of time IMO, but if it what some like to do, then thats fine by me.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I couldn't trust my main line if I had been chucking out a feeder the week before , all that abrasion is quickly forgotten, then when you tackle up a week later without checking your line for abrasion .... CRACK OFF..........

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Hairsplitter...to put a two piece rod up,attach reel & thread the line...about a minute.

But I'm not going to fall out over it. I will continue to refuse to have anything to do with ready made up rods and these annoying bags with sticky out bits where the reel goes that fit nowhere and in nothing. A pox on them.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I would never trust an old rig reliability - I fully set up at the start of the session.

I use maxima line as my main line. It's very good but prone to decomposition once exposed to pre-stretch; sun and water exposure and direct friction via snags; rings; reel bail ect. The amount of times I've had to remove 10 or so meters of line from my spool prior to fishing.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The problem that I had with made up rods was finding a rod holdall that took a made up 13ft float rod along with two carp rods. Most of this type of holdall are made for carp rods where the reel position is different and the rod tip of the float rod then protrudes out of the top of the holdall. I usually fish two leger rods and a float in the margin. I eventually found a holdall made by Chub that does the job, its a nice piece of kit. The holdall has a pocket at the top that houses a water proof cover (a bit like a huge waterproof condom), this peels back to cover the holdall and makes it water tight.