John Bailey in Times

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Did anyone else read the piece on John Bailey in the Times?

Mr Bailey was very out of context pictured holding a fish at least two feet clear of the water (shock Horror). Thought he was against even hooking fish these days!

K

Keith Orange

Yes, I read it as well.

I'm puzzled by some of John Bailey's statements on fishing these days. In the recent ACA magazine he objects to anglers using light tackle for big fish. So do I.

But in the Times article yesterday he talks about how he (and his clients) use fly tackle to catch large barbel, and mentions that some of the bigger ones can take up to 40 minutes to land.

In my view he is using light tackle to catch powerful fish, yet he objects to other anglers using similar methods

It seems to me he's inconsistent in his views - he deplores other anglers using light tackle for big fish, yet he readily fishes for large barbel with fly tackle.

W

Welsh Goff

I read it also, high an mighty ------ nah he's not worth the ink

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

He is also the most quoted angler on PETA's site ......

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Worth a look at the latest Coarse Fisherman, just out. Our Graham has selected a few of our choicest quotes.

W

Wolfman Woody

You got a mention by our 'Mystic Meg Marsden', Mark.

W

Wolfman Woody

"mentions that some of the bigger ones can take up to 40 minutes to land."

I am told that after 10 minutes of hard fighting a fish starts to build up toxins in the muscle tissue thereby endangering the fish's life. This being so, the man (JB) is an even bigger plonk than I have always taken him for.

L

Laurie Harper

40 minutes to land a barbel? 40 MINUTES? Jeez. WHAT is he trying to achieve? Does he want to ensure they expire in the landing net so his corporate clients can take them straight home and get them stuffed? If the quote is true, I reckon Woody is understating it a bit. He has to be the greatest plonker in the history of the known universe.

P

paul williams 2

I think JB should be mounted and stuffed.....not the fish.

N

NottmDon

I've heard it said that some men go through the menopause,which would explain some of Mr Baileys weird statements. Its a shame that one who as made a decent living out of angling should seem to be doing it such a diservice with his wackier comments.It quite reminds me of the 'life and times of Reginald Perrin' Maybe he should pack up fishing and go back to being a school teacher.

W

Wolfman Woody

Thanks for the link Andy.

Perhaps he's schizophrenic?

Oh no! Not two of them!