One Step Forward

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So the E.A. in their great wisdom have decided to put the licences back into the tackle shops.
This is a good move, but their needs to be something in place like they had in the post offices, such as a date machine which puts not only the date on the licence but the time it was purchased also. This will prevent any favours happening when anglers ask if they can have one backdated as they have just been nicked.

Of course, moving the sale of licences back to the tackle shops has nothing to do with the fact that a lot of post offices are closing down has it?
Why the bullshit? Admit that you made a mistake, and in future if it aint broke don?t fix it.

The most important factor in getting people to buy a licence has been overlooked. In my opinion, the E.A. need to get together with clubs and fishery owners, and sort the problem out properly by coming to some arrangement whereby a club or fishery owner will not sell a card or day ticket to an angler until an E.A. licence is produced.
Stop giving us this rubbish about working together with shops, forget your penny pinching ways, and get to the crux of the problem.
Sort it out with the clubs. Once too often the lame excuse of sell our licences and it will bring more anglers to your shop simply does not wash anymore. Nobody can expect a service for nothing, so please get it sorted.

The E.A.and clubs need to work together more closely. That is the only way forward.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By the way.
The title of this thread should have been-:

One step Forward
and three back.

D

Deecy

"and sort the problem out properly by coming to some arrangement whereby a club or fishery owner will not sell a card or day ticket to an angler until an E.A. licence is produced".

Baz the arrangement should be a fine for the angler without the licence and another for the club or fishery owner who allowed them to fish without one.
Just to clarify, will licences be available in Post Offices AND tackle shops or just tackle shops ?

Beecy

Reaction score
For the last few seasons I've bought mine on the EA web site (they also then send you a reminder each year) - will this facility still be available?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it will be just tackle shops mate, although I am not sure.
It might depend on which of the two will provide this service for the E.A. for nothing but a pocket full of dreams.
Why does the E.A. think that they have done something? All they are doing is putting it back where it rightfully belongs. But this will not solve the problem.
It looks to me as though all they are doing is safegaurding their own jobs, but they want people to do it free of charge for them.
This is the sticking point as to why they can't sort it out with the clubs as far as I can see.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Whats this going to cost in advertising. They have just run a long campaign to get you to by your licence of the web or at the PO. Wasting more of the money that should be going in to stocking and research.

As Baz says why were they ever taken out of the tackle shop in the first place.

W

Wolfman Woody

"why were they ever taken out of the tackle shop in the first place."

Because some shops weren't coughing up the dosh. Some were hanging on until the next year. In the meantime, a lot of shops were going bust with the owner declaring himself bankcrupt resulting in the NRA (it was then) loosing ?hundred of thousands if not ?millions.

I do hate being a fly in Baz's ointment (really I do) because in principle I would support his proposal of "No licence, no ticket". It makes for a lot of sense and on commercials they could make this a rule.

But when a lot of club cards are issued by post it puts a lot of responisbility on the Membership Secretary to ensure that everyone get's back their own licence. And what happens in the meantime if the angler is asked to produce it at a different fishery and it's in the hands of another club?

What then if that club hangs on to it for longer than the week that the angler is given to produce? Would the EA accept that as an excuse and how long would it taek to resolve it?

It's the logicitics of it all and would lead to many more prosecutions or could lead to a drop in club memberships.

Give it some serious thought. You might then agree.

W

Wolfman Woody

"logicitics"????

Sorry "logistics" - just found me specs.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I agree with Baz.
Allow commercial fisheries to sell both the one year and one day licenses(do they still have them?)
Punish the fishery owners heavily if someone is caught without a license on their site.
Problem solved overnight - the owners will then insist on selling an EA license.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woody says -:
But when a lot of club cards are issued by post it puts a lot of responisbility on the Membership Secretary to ensure that everyone get's back their own licence. And what happens in the meantime if the angler is asked to produce it at a different fishery and it's in the hands of another club?

Quite right mate, this little point slipped my mind, it would be a problem.
But wouldn't a photo copy suffice in the meantime for out of towners?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Date of issue would be better written in letters rather than numbers on the E.A. licence to avoid forgery, for anybody sending it in by post, such as -:

Thirtieth/ Third/Two Thousand And Five.

rather than -:

30/03/2005

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just to make things absolutely clear, with a bit of penciling in this date could easily be forged on a photocopy -:

30/03/2005

To

30/03/2008

Believe it or not.
This is not far fetched and has been done by the way, on day ticket permits.

This whole idea might be a load of rubbish, but if we kick it about a bit, you never know, we might be the ones to come up with a solution.
It wouldn't be the first time would it?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
River licences sold by tackle shops again, and not before time, providing the tackle shops agree though, and, as before all of them won't do it, they won't want the hassle.

Fishery owners ensuring customers have a licence? It won't happen for one simple reason, it then makes them legally liable for upholding the law. Never, its not their job, its the EA's and if its the law of the land then why aren't the police responsible as well, they are there to uphold the law of the land.

Also if fishery owners were to be responsible then fishing clubs would be as well, and they would have to pay the fines if anyone were caught without a licence on their water. Oh! and bailiffs as well, as representatives of the said club, whose job it would be to check were it to become law.

fred hall

Reaction score
Graham, I presume you mean rod licence rather than river licence but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with you. If half of what I heard at a club committee meeting last night the EA are now happy to shaft the salmon anglers, you know the ones who pay quite a lot for their rod licences, because basically they, the EA, are civil servants whose agenda is political. They don't want anything to do with issues where anglers might be at odds with other voters. Just look at the history of the cormorant problem. Apparently our new EA Principal Fisheries Officer for the North West isn't even an angler!

G

Ged

The Post Office put a charge on all work they have to do for others. They can even charge for changing notes to coins.
I have opted to pay for my EA liscence by direct debit. Easier for me and the EA. They let me know when the money is due to be paid and I get my liscence nice and early.
EA run fisheries ask to see your liscence before issuing any permits unless the fishery is on a ticket machine.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surely it is the job of the E.A. to make sure people get a licence.
So why do they keep on shoveing the resposibility onto other people and expect them to do sell their licences for nothing, or next to nothing.

(Oh! and the bailiffs aswell)
Don't be silly Graham.

If anybody should be fined or disbanded it is the E.A. for not doing their own jobs properly in the first place.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The can change the design of the rod licence evrey year to stop people altering old ones. a sample for viewing can be put on there website for clubs to check against. Also in this day and age it would not be hard to put a checking system online against purchased licenses to make sure people who are who they say.