Umbrellas

Blunderer

Reaction score
Everywhere I fish I see anglers tucked up under their unbrellas looking comfortable, snug and dry.

Their tackle is under there, them, their seat, their bait, the whole problem.

So what the hell is wrong with me? For 25 years I have had this problem:

1)It starts to rain
2)I get my brolly out and put it up
3)The wind is in my face rendering the brolly useless.
4)I try to position it at the best angle I can for some protection.
5)In the best position, the centre pole would be right through my body and my chair.
5) I find the nearest position for the brolly where the centre pole is not in the way
6) I am squeezed under a tiny bit of the brolly and my jeans and feet are getting wet.
7) I go with it and try to stick the brolly in the ground.
8) The brolly either slides through the mud and pops back up again like a trowel or the ground is like a brick.
9) Either way, for maximum security I push in a bankstick and tie the cord to it.
10) I start to get used to it and relax.
11) A gust of wind picks it right up and pivots it on the bankstick putting me into a panic and scaring all the fish. Also making me the laughing stock of anybody who sees me.
12) I get it back and start to either hold it with my hand or put my foot on the centre pole's entry point to secure it.
13) I get a bite
14) I strike
15) I return to point 11.

Ad infinitum.

It does my head in!!!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Correction to 14 -

"I strike, but rod hits edge of umbrella and I miss the fish."

No-one "laughs" at you, honestly. That's just you being paranoid.

They just wet themselves howling with delight.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Get yourself a proper brolly with nubrolli feature and powerspike.

And don't wear jeans for fishing!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've spent a fortune on brollies over the years and never found a strong one light enough to cart up and down the river. I finally took the advice of some of the wiser scribes on here and bought a set of lightweight waterproofs that I keep in my bag and never bother with a brolly now, much more practical.

I must admit that using maggots in the rain with no brolly does have its problems but as I very rarely use them these days I can live with that.

Red6

Reaction score
Brollies !!!

Now there's a subject.

Thought to myself - If your gunna have one, have a big un!! Bought a honking great thing which once 'erected' looks like an army parachute, and in fact performs in exactly the same way because one good gust of wind causes such a power surge that it overides the stop latch and the poxy thing collapses on your head.

Take your point regarding the powerspike Matt, and in fact I've got one of these as well, but you need a drilling rig to penetrate some of the banks in our area so I have called in Stent Foundations to bore some holes for me.

Think I should of just bought a bigger hat instead!!!!

Red6

Reaction score
Don't know what the Mrs would say about that.

Oh sorry, thought you had missed the H out.

Ian

Beecy

Reaction score
"Everywhere I fish I see anglers tucked up under their unbrellas looking comfortable, snug and dry.

Their tackle is under there, them, their seat, their bait, the whole problem."

They make you sick don't they!

F

Fred Bonney

Anybody want a brolly?
I've given up using them for years now and just sit it out in my waterproofs.
Everything else goes back in the bag,with my baits well covered.

matt

Reaction score
I've also gone down the waterproofs only path but surely theres a solution out there that will keep my other sundry items dry and easily accesssible? Whilst also prevent me from having to sit in a puddle.
Maybe a poncho is a possibility but access to maggots hooks e.t.c. still wouldn't be easy.

Any bright ideas out there???

M

matt thomas

i use chesties and a waterproof coat but if i'm fishing and it starts to rain i use a set of normal waterproofs kept in a stuffsack.
as for the maggots cut a whole in a spare lid in the middle and keep the full lid over the top
or use other baits!
or get one of those sad little bait umbrellas that you see on ebay

M

matt thomas

as for brollies get some storm pole attachments and put on a normal brollie -it takes care of the centre pole thing,as long as it has a tilt mechanism just push to the back and use the poles at front to support it
or you can get brollie spikes on ebay which taskes care of the hard bank thing

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
If I'm fishing for lots of smaller fish or expecting lots of bites I go for the water proofs and let the kit get wet. If I'm sitting it out though I use a brolly and your right, they are the most annoying things ever created. I made the mistake of buying a big one as well that catches the wind. Pain in the arse.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've done the waterproof clothing thing but I fish more efficiently if my tackle abd bait is dry.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use a badger ultralite. But also were waterproffs does not matter if legs are sticking out. Bait and gear is kept dry.

N

NottmDon

When I was match fishing I invested in a bait lid for my maggots made by Boss Tackle Developments to stop my bait crawling out in the downpours that traditionaly accompany match sessions. It actually worked as well.Its not a brolly just a lid that opens up at an angle of around 45 degrees,cheap and it does what it says on the tin! Havent used maggots in a long time though,how times (and baits) change!
Must admit a bin bag works for kit bags but I have never had a brolly that doesnt,at some point, decide to collect and then pour down the back of my neck gallons of rain water.