Knots and glue

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
While I was away in India recently I was shown a knot to make a neat join between the main line and a shock/ rubbing leader. The knot was rubbish, until we realised a drop of super glue was needed before tightening it. We tested the knot several times, each was very close to the breaking strain of the line.

This raises the question: should we consider using glue more often with our knots?

I'm not aware that super glue damages the line in any way. So, why don't we use it more often? the only reasons that spring to mind are the somewhat macho "my knots are so good that I don't need to make them better". Or perhaps some might take a purist view on knot tying.

Any thoughts?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I use the knots that I've grown up with and trusted over many years like most anglers but that doesn't mean to say they can't be improved. I always worry that superglues will eat into the line thus weakening it but I have no proof that this happens, perhaps some of the more intrepid knot and line testers on here have tested this and I too would be interested know their conclusions. The phrase "if you need superglue on your knots you arent tying them correctly" often crops up on here but I wonder how many folks have actually done comparison tests?

Fluorocarbon and braid in particular, have their peculiarities when it comes to tying knots and I can well see their being improved by a drop of superglue during the tying. I wonder if it would act as a lubricant as well, mmmm, mind you great care would be needed if you didn't want your fingers to be a part of the knot!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Iv'e never found the need to use glue on a mono knot mate."

But isn't that what Ric was saying? ie: "my knots are so good that I don't need to make them better."

I know that some anglers super-glues have a rubber base and stop the line strangulating itself. And contrary to having the soft link off the hook in a braid, some anglers prefer a hard link by applying super-glue up the line as well.

It has it's place. I use it at times.

N

NottmDon

I reckon the chap that runs the Glebe in Leicstershire would know the answer,Mr Marlow has some very interesting theories on lines and knots. Dam good read in Midland Angler from time to time. No doubt he'd give you a proper and unbiased answer.Think he may well have a website as well.

I use glue rarely because I tend to get more glue on my fingers than I do on the knots lol. Superglue is supposed to set in seconds,it does on my fingers or clothing but it seems to take an age on my hooklengths.ermm 'sods law'? I would imagine it must make things better,if the glue was an epoxy that created heat as it cured it may well be a different matter but good old finger sticking superglue doesnt does it? I have noted that the new advice on making loops in leadcore leaders seems to be not to blob the tag end with a lighter as its supposed to hold fast as it is au natural. I still blob mine but then reduce the size of the blob with a pair of scissors. My dad used to call this sort of practice 'the belt and braces approach'
It would be of great interest to hear a comment from the likes of Mr Marlow.
India! Picked your time to come back mate weve had monsoon weather for the last two weeks lol. Did you get any fallout or rather earth tremors from the big quake out that way?

M

matt thomas

b and q thick superglue ,it doesnt run ,comes out in a blob and is ideal for fishing -?2.99

C

chris (newbie)

I never use glue on my knots and it isn't a case of "my knots are so good that I don't need to make them better" more like if it aint broke, don't fix it