Watching Big Hairy Beaver's

W

Wolfman Woody

Nothing better than the sight of a nice beaver first thing in a morning.

I'm glad it confirms they are vegetarians though. How much further back are we going to go and re-release animals back in the wild? Bears, wolves (not the footie team, lions, hyenas, Tyrannosaurus rex?

D

david bruce 1

Woody... your not joking there is a wacky campaign to release wolves into the scottish forests and I have even heard it said that it should be done in the New Forest. We already have 'escaped'! wild boar causing problems. I want my gun back.

Joskin

Reaction score
<a(space)href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2065794.stm">wolves</a>

W

Wolfman Woody

One guy used to breed European Lynx, I think he was in Norfolk in the 70s. Beautiful cats and very friendly. He was often seen walking around with one clinging to himself. Brilliant sight.

C

Chris Bishop

Been introduced today on an enclosed estate in the Cotswold Water Park. DEFRA realise the chap hasn't got a licence to introduce them when the story goes around, meanwhile, the beavers has bolted. Excellent. Stand by for the great beaver hunt.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

They should greatly assist the river engineering industry to stay in work then? LoL

G

Ged

Bring on the armourdillos, crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.

European beaver, smaller than the Yankies of course. can't recall reading about any British origins before!

C

Chris Bishop

Euro beavers don't build dams because they're lazier than their transatlantic counterparts apprently.

They also mate for life but spend most of their time asleep.

There you go - you read it here first.

P

paul williams 2

I heard this on a radio programe earlier in the week and thought then i couldn't remember anything about beavers being native to the UK....otters yes, but not beavers.......at least not in the last 1000yrs or so?

One of the excuses used for releasing them was that their dam building was good for fishes habitat!

Sounded so genuine on the radio! all furry loveable smiley.....sounds like they were sucked in and never did the homework!?

G

Ged

Cheers Chris.
With them sleeping most of the time I doubt if anyone will see too much of them!

M

madpiker

the sexy blonde bird who reported this piece of news on the local bbc west programme is welcome to release her beaver in my house anytime!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

The last beavers in Britain were finally killed by fur trappers about 500 years ago but they are still common in all north European countries and cause no problems.
As for wolves, this could be a problem. Not for us humans, other wildlife or the habitat but for the wolves themselves. They are a specie that soon becomes used to human contact and in some more populated areas of Scandinavia and Canada have almost lost their wild instincts because people feed them on a regular basis.
I can see the same happening in Scotland where they'll soon learn that tourists = food and of course misguided tourists will no doubt be unable to resist the urge to feed them thus defeating the objective of their re-introduction which would be to control the red deer population.
I'd love to see wild wolves in Britain but for the wolf's sake I hope it doesn't happen.