Coarse Fishing Book

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry to be pestering you all again so soon. But I have been looking for a decent book that explains the basics of all if not most course fishing methods. High street bookshops seem to have nothing worth a second look or they are written by people who like the sound of their own words and never use pictures.

I did order the John Wilson Course Fishing Method manual from Amazon but ended up getting the wrong book sent.

Recommendations please. Something comprehensive yet straightforward, with lots of diagrams for us fick ones!!

Many thanks.

B

Barry Edney

Go Fishing Techniques is the one you want. Covers just about all aspects of coarse fishing, with a bit of sea thrown in as well. A bit dated now but his methods will still catch you fish.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Matt Hayes did a book about 10 years ago though not sure if you will find it still. Worth looking in your local library (plus checking what is available within the county). You might find your answers in several books that way, or identify the book that you are looking for.

On this site there is more than a million words in 100s of articles with every coarse method/rig/technique under the sun, just takes a bit of patience to find what you want.

Some second hand book shops may have the sort of book you are looking for.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Are there any more recent books, things seem to have changed so much in the last few years.

The articles on here are fantastic I have to admit, just not that portable!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anglers Mail Guide to coarse fishing by Dave Coster is an exellent starters book.
It cover most aspects including -: Rigs, Rod, Pole,float, ledger fishing, and also baits, with loads of pictures.

(Hamlyn Books)

M

matthew nightingale

I have found the John Wilson books "Go fishing for xxxxx" to be very clear and comprehensive. They are out of print but fairly easy to pick up second hand on the web.

B

Barry Edney

You could always print a few relevant articles off, Mr Bones. Put them in one of those plastic folders and take em fishing with you. Might be a bit lighter than a heavy book as well.

FISHINGmagic Articles.

N

NottmDon

You could subscribe to one of the magazines,theres enough of them. 'Improve Your Coarse Fishing' used to be a good one. Only problem with magazines is they tend to repeat information or a regular basis. John Wilson did some cracking books,I have a few of them. I have quite a collection of fishing books as it happens so if theres anything in particular you want to know I could scan you the relevant pages and email them you if you cant find the info anywhere else.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Once again thanks for the tips guys. Don, thanks for the offer but I would be pestering you non-stop.

I shall keep looking and will eventually find something. If not, I might write one myself from a beginners point of view.

Thanks again, now where did I leave my quill?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Mr Bones, you could'nt get much better than your first choice,
John Wilson Coarse Fishing Method Manual.
also
Matt Hayes Coarse Fishing.

Look on eBay, both are usually available.

N

NottmDon

Thers a really good book by Alan Haines and Mac Cambell that is not only very instructive but its a very good read as well. Its not a recent publication but the information in it is relevant to todays anglers.Might be worth looking it up on Amazon under the authors names.If anyones interested I will dig it out of my library and get the full title and ISBN number.

Nigel Causer 2

Reaction score
the book that Matt Hayes did was called "Coarse Fishing". first published in 1995 by Crowood Press.
Coch-y-Bonduu Books are worth a try if you want a copy of the book.
phone 01654-702837.

Mr Bones

Reaction score
Thanks everyone..
I shall continue in my quest empowered by your advice and recommendations.

colsmiff

Reaction score
I have John Wilson's Complete Coarse Fisherman, published by Boxtree in 1996.
Its a great reference book if a little dated for modern carp and barbel fishing.