Best way to make an ice breaker please ?

tortoise100

Reaction score
Enough is enough My local lake is apraoaching the time when it could be fished the ice is starting to look thin and there is about a 6" clear skirt of water around the outside but it is still not ready to fish.

I do not think it would be a massive job to smash some ice in the one spot that I can get near the fish holding features.

Any ideas on a preferably cheap safe way to do this ?

I was thinking about an breeze block tied to rope but don't think I could throw it very far my waders are not waterproof any more so going in with a sledge hammer is not a cheap option right now.

Any ideas ?

I am very good friends with the bailiffs in fact i might be about to become one so don't think I will have any problems there.

flightliner

Reaction score
Any ideas on a preferably cheap safe way to do this ?
DGF-- in the past I have used the head of a sledgehammer with a short length of chain attached- the rest is rope. After lobbing the hammer head out onto the Ice it will hopefully go thro- then by heaving back and forth the chain acts like a saw. I'm not sure this will have the desired affect on thick ice but two or three inches and it works a dream.

tortoise100

Reaction score
That does sound promising I even have a thick length of chain I could use but will have to go on a hunt for a sledge hamer head .

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
sledge hammer head, disc brake off the car, and as flightliner says a metre of good chain attached to a rope. Chuck it in and let it sink and then saw the ice with the chain.
It will Knacker you out after a few chucks , and you will end up very wet and cold, then you have to scoop the broken ice out with a landing net and dump it on the bank......then you are hot and feel fine until your sweat starts freezing under your clothes and you start losing heat
NOT for the faint hearted............

flightliner

Reaction score
but will have to go on a hunt for a sledge hamer head .
Take a look on the back of a travellers flat back lorry (nudge nudge)-- I once heard of an angler in south yorkshire who did this-- he used to joke that he had saved his local council thousands in repair bills (lol)

Beaker

Reaction score
Why not just go to one of the more shady army surplus stores and get yourself a depth charge:wh:)

stikflote

Reaction score
Used a lump hammer head on a chain and rope ,at birchhouse lakes,the hammer head just bounced on ice so we gave up after half hr and went back home defeated ,lol