E.A. Prosecutions

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Targeted patrols aim not only to catch the offender but also to educate those who may not be aware of the fishing laws."

Does this mean that there are two different types of offender nowadays?

One that will be prosecuted i.e an Englishman?

And one that will be educated i.e an imigrant?

Come on Greg, add this to your list of questions to be asked.

Ron C

Reaction score
Baz,
When I read this last EA post/artical, I came to the same conclusion as you.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a bluddie cop out mate, and a cheap one at that.
I am off work at the moment, so I think I'll start by going to the local E.A. office and ask for an explanation.
And we all know what I am leading to don't we?

D

Deecy

And we all know what I am leading to don't we?
A nervous breakdown?

C

Chris Bishop

Purely a PR stunt - how many people ever get checked..?

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I haven't been checked for more than 3 years but last month I was asked by a local fishery owner if I had a current rod licence when I purchased my day ticket.

Watch out Baz. They'll only accuse you of being racist.

C

Cakey

Trouble is they are right (Im one of the 80 checked while fishing Broxbourne Mill with a licence),the area is like a holiday park where there is a lido and boat hire etc .
mum and dad sit with kid trying to help him catch a fish .......who needs the licence,the kid dont but do mum or dad when they pick up the rod to rebait or help cast out ?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Baz,

Would you agree that illegal fishing can never be controlled by enforcement alone?

If so what is wrong with diverting efforts to education? Sure some hide behind their ignorance but if it encourages some anglers to become legitimate then it can only be a good thing.

It is wrong to assume that just because an angler is an immigrant they will always fish illegally.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nigel.
I think the only way to control illegal fishing is through enforcement.
But for the number of bailiffs the E.A. have, that is never going to happen.

My point is that any imigrants caught fishing illegally should be prosecuted. The same way and English angler is prosecuted. No excuses are accepted, if caught whithout a licence for English anglers. So why then are they now talking of educating certain people?

Surely that is discrimination.

W

Wolfman Woody

Have to agree with Baz to a great extent (oh I've coem over all feint).

The illegals are causing BIG problems on some waters, particularly the Slough arm of the GU.

However, apart from acquiring a licence there is little you can do to stop someone taking 2 fish (Thames Region BL) from any water where they have public access.

That can be 2 x 3lb roach or 2 x 30lb carp or even 2 x 15lb barbel.

If it's a club water it's different. However, you go to a lot of time and expense to bring them to Court and even if they get fined, they can't pay. What's the point? It's not a hanging offence either.

It's very frustrating so I agree with Nigel - better to try to educate and hope they understand and comply.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is the point exactly Woody mate.
If it was an English angler that couldn't pay the fine, he would go to jail.

It is for the powers that be to find a sollution, and not to make these feeble excuses.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes Cakey.
If mum or dad picked the rod up and had it in his/her hand then they would be liable.
I lost count of the dads that tried the excuse they were not fishing but only helping the youngster.