Winter fishing

Lonewolff

Reaction score
I'm told that stillwater fishing is a no-no in winter, is this correct? If so where/what should I be concentrating my efforts? What's a good "winter bait"?

E

EC

It definitely isn't a no no mate!

Stillwaters can be really good in the winter, posasibly more so now our winters are warmer!

It is true that some waters are certainly more difficult as the fish's metabolism slows down and as such they eat less and possibly some waters might not fish at all well.

However all waters are different, just adapt your approach, feed a little less, and depending what you are fishing for possibly reduce your hook/line size!

As a general rule, look for warm cloudy days with a bit of rain, and if you can afford to be choosy sometimes bright frosty days are often the most difficult.

What sort of water is it? What species are you after?

Beecy

Reaction score
A good winter bait?

Even on the coldest days, breadpunch on the hook over a couple of "golf balls" of liquidised bread should get you some decent roach or skimmers.

Lonewolff

Reaction score
Two waters, one lake around 2 acres,fairly shallow the other I haven't fished yet. I think it's a gravel pit. V Deep.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As a genral rule wind on your back and if the sun comes out on the shallow lake get on a bank that catches the sun for most of the day. Water will always be warmer. Keep baitting down as mentioned above and small baits

Lonewolff

Reaction score
Thanks, hopefully I can get out over the weekend if it's not to grim.