The Rutland Challenge

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I know it's a long time ahead but I am planning a week's onslaught on Rutland Water, sometime in May next year.

But I need a boat partner!

There are some really nice places to stay and those big browns and rainbows are calling. Is there anyone out there who would fancy a week fishing one of the best still waters in Europe?

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

I'll happily pop up from London (or down from Yorkshire) depending on where I'm at next year for a couple of days. Don't want to fish rutland for a week though. I'd rather spend the rest of the time on rivers.

Cheers

Rich

P.S I take it we'll be fishing from a boat again? Love fishing from boats on big reservoirs.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And we had a great time the last time didn't we?

Let's talk about it the nearer the time Richard. And yes it will definitely be boat fishing.

NT

Reaction score
Ron, My busy fishing schedule has not yet been finalised, but I am sure I could make a day or two in the week.
By the way, why wait until May - the best fishing is now, catch the fry feeding frenzy! Stockies are now nearly 3lb and mad for fry. It may mean getting up early. There are loads of articles in the press around - eg Nigel Savage catching 6lb fish on a floating fry... You don't need a boat just fish around the jetty - that's where all the fry are....

Neil.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I can't get the time off at the moment Neil.

I don't fancy driving a 160 miles round trip for only two days fishing.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
We did have a great time last day Ron. True we didn't catch anything day one, but that made it all the better when we finally cracked it on day two and put a good few fish in the boat.

I'll deffinately be ther Ron. Lets put some dates in the diary sooner rather than later. We may as well combine it with a bank holiday. To be honest it'll be busy but I hardly think that'll make a difference in on a water of that size.

I'd love to give that creek a go again, The one we motored to the far side of the lake for, Was it Barnsfold Creek? I feel certain it'll hold fish under the right conditions.

Cheers

Rich

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Yes that was on the North Arm Richard. If I remember right you got a pull and missed it.

But the weather was atrocious that day and even one of the rangers said we would by lucky to get a fish.

But we cracked it on the Sunday!