What do you think makes a good bailiff?

• Thread starter Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Here?s your opportunity to have your say on what you want from a good bailiff!

It?s a blank sheet here and who knows where it?ll lead?

E

EC

And you never placed in in bait box either?

You're up and out early!

Oh I just realised, it's dark outside!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A very sticky one this Phil.
not so long ago, bailiffs could use their own discretion.

Today, we have insurance policies to adhere to. Where as at one time if you approached an angler you did not recognise, and he told you that he had forgotten his card, you could ask him a few questions and use your discretion, and then maybe say to him, okay, but I need to see it next time.

Expierience counts for a lot in todays world, as there are many ifs, buts, and maybe's to come to terms with.
Knowing when to give a warning, and when to take action helps also.
And then you have your own welfare to think about. So knowing when to back off helps. But backing off does not mean that is the end of the situation.
If in doubt, Back Off and seek advice, there is allways another day.

Reaction score
In the 15 years I have fished the Teme and Severn, I have yet to see one, seen hundreds of poachers though.

Any bailif, just one (even Baz!), would be a good one...

so long as he likes a drink ;-)

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Bottle
Gravitas
Common sense
Consistency
No personal agenda
Discrete
Helpful

Reaction score
Off Andy's list I would single out 'no personal agenda.'

A long time ago (the last time I fished a commercial fishery)I resolved never to return based on two criteria.

Firstly, barbel were starting to show up, in numbers, at Severn schoolie size and they shouldn't have been there.

Secondly, the bailif hated any method/ bait that he didn't personally use. The list of bans extended two foot, hand-written, below the official fishery sign.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That describes me to a T Andy.
Plus firm but fair, and keep a sense of humour.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Eddie the cript was vewry cold tonight, so I got up early, but as you pointed out it was dark. Love with the first bite ''You'll note from another thread I did work in the slaughtering industry lot of blood there. emmmmmmmmm!

You know I do find it strange when you put a thread up like this, as has happened in the past, and all the gobos pile in on people like our beloved Bazza, but when you give them the opportunity to have their say, they become dumbstruck! Or in this mediums case, keyboard struck!

Perhaps they don?t have the mental capacity to be constructive and like the scroats they can only be destructive?

Perhaps the Empyheads would like to comment on this instead?

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Good local knowledge of the waters, what swims are producing and what baits to use, a good sense of humour and where's the best pub to get a decent pint and grub.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But what about trying to appease the disgruntled angler, or the bankside lawyer?
With all the best will in the world, they usually have very little idea of what they are talking about.

Any bailiff is expected to be a walking bank of eternal knowledge to some people, and if he is. he is then called a kin knowall.

A good bailiff has to be a good listener if he has the time, which I am sure most anglers think that he does.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People are actually supposed to book on the Ribble if they want to do a night, so far only the odd angler bothers to book on, and it aint anybody off this forum.
As a good bailiff am I supposed to make a seventy mile round trip just to tell them off?
Or should I take their cards and cause them the same inconvienience as I have suffered by making them come into HQ to get it back?

Andy S

Reaction score
I initially would have said some terminator style, no holds barred robot who took no sh**. You either follow the rules to the leeter of the law or your off, simple. This I thought would eradicate all the idiots you see. Then i realised that would also eradicate me. I'll hold my hands up here and say I have broken some clubs rules.

You see I fish a stretch of the Severn where the controlling club deems that no night-fishing is allowed and you have to have left the water at dark. Their reason is they can't bailiff it at night. So i'm their fishing and I'm having a blinder catching barbel after barbel, (a very rare occasion I might add). In this kind of situation I have fished a couple of hours into dark and packed up at 9-10ish.

So now I'm thinking the key word here is 'common sense', which is of course all about one persons judgement. If i'd been sat their with a bivvie well into the dark then I would understand a red card. Also if my actions were detrimental to somebody else such as a landowner etc... I reckon most people have broken the odd rule to some extent, its when you start taking the p*ss that action needs to be taken, (littering, barbed hooks etc etc).

Just a final thought how about a rule book that was written in 'Common Sense'. ie..

Rule 29: No night fishing, unless your doing really really well, in which case you will be permitted to fish a couple of extra hours into darkness.

P

Paul Christie 2

I hate this phrase, but - good customer care skills.

You need the type of person who can talk to anyone and is genuinely a decent type.

They can still perform the dirty side of the job but they manage to do it with minimum fuss because they have the ability to get the biggest of prats 'on-side'.
Calm controlled, never lose their discipline and they know their stuff.

The problem is most people who fall into that criteria are getting paid well for their skills!

P

Paul Christie 2

Not at all.

To be honest, if you did, I think most clubs would really stuggle for volunteers.

It's often those that are retired who have the time available to take on such a commitment.

I know most of the idiot types have no respect for anyone, but any decent person will respect someone whether they are in their teens or 90's.

What most clubs need are lots of eye's and ears, not rambo.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
The best Bailifs I've ever known were an absolute bonus to a day on the water. They know the water, and a happy to offer advice, without making you feel like you have to take it. They are strict relating to permits, access, and treat everyone the same. I have met a number of bailifs and keepers like this. Bailifs like this are not to be taken for granted. Everytime I visit the ribble trout fishing I make sure I take the keeper a bottle of something. Hes always put me on fish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with you on that one Paul, as it is knowledge that will win the day.

R

Robert Woods 1

One who carries his own flask of tea instead of bumming one off me. This usually happends on Bridgy canal.