lose weight

stikflote

Reaction score
hi all, i want to lighten the tackle i carry , i want to carry the korum chair whats the least i can get away with at the moment i carry a pole a match rod a feeder rod brolly big bag of bits i keep trying to cut everything down but it still seems to heavy i pleasure fish and it seems to me that half the stuff we carry is just weight i would be very grateful for replies thanks all

G

Ged

Hi stikflote, have same problem, tried going down the lines of choosing venue and and type of fishing method and just taking the necessary takle needed. Never worked as I always left something out. At pres' I'm trying to buy lighter gear but only when gear neads replacing. It'll take a while.

stikflote

Reaction score
yes thats the problem isnt it you always want the things you forget ,but got to say half the tackle i carry never see,s use its there if i need it got to be a way round it lol thanks GED

G

Ged

Have you thought about just taking the pole for general fishing and leaving all match and feeder gear at home? If you go for feeder, leave out pole gear.
Thats why I have two match rods in the holdal, one for light lines, the other for more heavy duty fishing. Do I need both rods? Two reels? Knowing my luck, If I take one rod, then I find that I should have taken the other.

stikflote

Reaction score
HI GEDyes thats a problem ive three match four feeders and a twin tip greys avon which doent get used i think i will try just taking that i find my bait gets heavy with what i take and the brolley is definitely heavy i have cut down on bank sticks its other bits i got to lose some where

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take all your usual gear, plus a small carryall.
When you have finished fishing at the end of your day, put everything you have used into the small carryall.
Bish, bash, bosh, you are sorted for your next session.

W

Wolfman Woody

A witty reply - take all the normal gear with and that which you don't use, leave it there for some kid to find. That'll teach you!

Serious reply - try limiting yourself to just one rod, one style and enjoy it. Next time add one other rod that might get used if ..... Now you have two choices, but manageable ones.

Do you know what species and likely size you are fishing for where you go?

stikflote

Reaction score
yes but usually i take what comes i fish the derwent a lot the trent and various lakes such as coopers marstons allestree staunton so i get around a bit i am going to try taking just my avon rod tho i dont think the rods themselves are heavy its all the other stuff

?

<?))))><.???`?. born to fish (callum) made to wor

Maybe get a avon rod...match and feader in 1 and if your still boged down try a barrow or trolly.

p.s havn't seen you on this forum so welcome.

W

Wolfman Woody

Take a look at my roving bag at the bottom of this article

I can make up numerous different types of rigs with this, and yet by simply switching the main Fox box for my other containing mostly floats I can opt for different styles again.

Then again, if I went to a match I have a full seat box and if I go dedicated carp fishing I have rucksack and barrow etc. But I never take along more than I need.

Or I don't think I do.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
we probably fish some of the same places,i
usually only take one float rod,and either
my jw avon/quiver or jw barbel quiver plus
reels,one closed face,1 centre-pin & a reel
for the other rod my stradic or baitrunner
depending where i'am going and what type of
fishing i'am expecting to do barbel or chub
etc i will take either just a cushion which
doubles as a unhooking matt for chub or an
old deck chair (last one collapsed) or an little folding stool (last one i used ripped when i sat on it and i fell through
it)i also have a shopping trolley thats got
a seat built into it.take a peek don't laugh its
not funny i would of prefered a green one.
i whare a fishing vest with loads of small pockets for my bits and bobs plus a old work bag or carryall for the bigger bits and bait my rods go into a old rod bag with the top cut off(don't want to waste no
money on a quiver)and thats it,unless i'm
fishing in a match then i take loads.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
No way Chav!
Tell me you don't take thet trolley to the bank, it's not got cammo?

Rockin mate.....hehehehe

Good job the missus has gone to bed, she'd think I have lost it.....

:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"But I never take along more than I need"

Right - me neither!
I guess the amount of weight that we tote around rather centres around our individual definintions of 'need' versus 'want'?

:)

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
I would be getting some fabric paint on that trolly sharpish,although the principal is spot on,I remember John Wilson used to have a Folding Rucksack /chair thingie and they are pretty good and still available

I Think the key is to know what species you are going to Target and take the stuff with you for that species,you can always adapt e.g an avon rod will do most things,chub,barbel,bream,tench,light carp work,light piking,perching,

My personal experience is the same as I used to carry everything to the bank in a gigantic match rod bag,a big Box on my back and a holdall in my hand

I now do the following:
Pole Fishing(which i dont do nowadays much)
take the box as it can store everything inside,pole and a few other items in a small pole holdall

All other fishing I use the small chub zip up look hereand i have a few of these for the different types of fishing e.g.
one with floats,shot,hooks etc
one with leads,rigs on a fox winder,hair needle drill etc and all rig bits in a small box given away in AT about 2 months ago
One with all my pike bits in(that is a larger one )

then i have a roving bag that always has scales,polarised glasses,rod licence and cards,camera,screw top pot of tea bags and same for sugar
all I add is the right chub box and bait ,flask of hot water,500ml coke bottle full of milk and I am ready to go
My chair carries a screw fitment for a rod rest and a weigh sling/unhooking mat combi stuck in the back of the seat secured with bungee straps
All i need then is the rod and the rest for the chair and my landing net(see pafex net in reviews)

Obviously you have already bought the korum chair so your going to stick with that -but try the rest as it is rewarding to know you can drop in or move out of any swim you fancy .

Last Monday I even got out an 8ft spinning rod and strapped to my bike like i used to do when i was a teen and biked down the river to look for some new swims,I was knackered but it was refreshing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you think about it, you don't need to carry most of what you've described Stikflote, why take a pole on the Trent for example? One float rod and one feeder or avon rod and you can cope with anything. I try to cut my tackle down as much as possible and truth to say I probably carry less gear than most anglers. I usually have a good idea of what type of fishing I will be doing before I go and as I mostly fish rivers two made up rods, one for feeder work and one for either waggler or stick, all bits and pieces go in a small bag similar to Woodies and rods and banksticks etc go in a quiver.

You can always tell a matchman on the riverbank by the size of his rod holdall, three poles, two wagglers, two or three feeders, an enormous carryall stuffed with god knows what, a net/bait bag and a ruddy great box on stilts. He probably will set up a waggler and a feeder rod and that does him for the day yet he carries enough gear to fill a transit van. I know this because I used to be one of them, no wonder I've got a bad ticker.

Anyone who wants to learn how little you actually need to take on a days fishing ought to go with Nigel Connor, he has it down to a fine art but he's always got what he needs, he even makes me feel overloaded.

B

Bill Eborn

I don't have any transport so I don't have any option about travelling light. I reckon the key thing is to get to know your waters, keep an eye on the weather and take the gear that you are going to need for those conditions rather than all the 'just in case' stuff.

I reckon, travelling light can be an advantage in lots of ways too. If you aren't lugging loads of gear around with you you might be prepared to go a bit further up the bank so you have more swims to choose from. After lugging all that weight around, it is such a relief to get if off your shoulders, you need to be very careful not to put it down less gently than you might be advised. Finally if you find yourself in an unproductive swim, by travelling light you might be more willing to try another one.

Cheers

Bill

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I allways used to take everything but the kitchen sink at one time.
My mate who travelled light allways used to laugh at me and say why do you carry all that gear?

But when we were setting up, he would often say, eeerrr, Baz , have you got this I could borrow, iv'e left mine at home.

B

Bill Eborn

Nah Baz - that's not travelling light, that's poor preparation!

Red6

Reaction score
In my humble opinion, it's all down to preparation and deciding before hand what you plan to target for the day. I was a big box, big bag, brolley, kitchen sink bloke once but by the time I would get to my swim I was knackered.

Now, I decide what I will be doing on the day and prepare accordingly. I have a Fox rucksack, small tackle box with the type of gear I need for the day, floats, hooks etc (trotting or legering etc), a small fold up stool that fits in the rucksack, my flask and my bait.

I make the rod up at the car and of I go, rucksack on my back, rod (rod rest where required)in one hand, nets in the other.

The difference this has made has been really good and the old back is much better from not having to lug half a ton of gear around.

Ian