What size pole

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Hi,
Having had a fairly good run with rod and reel (just got back into fishing after 12 years), I feel I'm ready to give the pole a go. I've never used one, so a complete noob! Been looking to buy my first one, and am overwhelmed by the choices. Can any give me pointers as to what size I should consider?

Beecy

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to pay, and what type of fishing you want to do.

Beecy

Reaction score
If your budget for a pole is less than say ?200-250 I would recommend 11metre max. There are lots of 12-14.5 even 16metre poles around for less than this but in my opinion are a waste of time, you will never use them at the full lengths. They may feel ok when you have a waggle in the shop but are a nightmare to try and fish with. Best to get a shorter pole for the same money that will be miles better at that length.

The best bit of advise I will ever give anyone when buying a pole is to always get the very best you can possibly afford ? infact get one you can?t afford !

I speak from personal experience here and from seeing it many times when I worked in a tackle shop, you buy a cheap pole then after a season you decide you want a better one so buy a slightly dearer one, then you decide this is not good enough and upgrade again ? before you know it you are using a pole costing 5 or 6 times the amount of your first one but it has cost you twice as much to get there ? so you would have been better off shelling out on the best in the first place ? I know which one I?d rather have been using.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
My budget is up to ?200. I want to use it at my local fishery, Sherwood Forest Farm Park, but with the flexibility to use it on rivers in the future.

There are some fairly large fish on the stillwaters, so it needs to be able to cope with these.

Hope that helps!!

Beecy

Reaction score
For ?200 I personaly would go for 11M you shoulg get a decent one for that.

I don't know what type of fishing sherwood is but I think it has some decent carp so you will probably need a strongish pole that will take at least a 16 elastic.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at Dragon Carp for their package!

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

alan bettridge

Reaction score
Argos extra good carp pole and match top 3
and 2 power top 2s
?100, i have tried it and it is great, on commerciel waters carp varying 4lbs to 15lbs this pole can handle all and bigger im sure.
Al

J

james hunt

neil i have just the pole you are looking for at a great price in the for sale collum. sensas pole king at half price including delivery with insurance.

J

james hunt

neil did you bye the dragon carp pole.
if not i still have a sensas pole king 70 for sale. retails for ?120.00 but i will sell for ?60.00 including postage with insurance. pole is 11 metres with spare top 3 and takes up to a 16 elaastic. comes with protective tubes. brand new and a lot lot better pole than the dragon.

W

William Spencer

neil from you saying sherwood forest farm park you're not far from me.try phils tackle in sutton in ashfield,he's got a shakespeare bungee extreme.12.5 metre.just over two hundred notes,comes with three spare power kits rated to 16 elastic.very light and balanced.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I've just ordered the Grim Reaper from Mullarkeys!! It should be here for next week so I'll be giving it a try !!

B

Benjimima

I got a great pole which is meant to be good for all fish and it will cope with large carp. it was ?200 its 11m axium pole. it came with 2 top sections! Hope this helps!!!