Fishing

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Kevin's had his say, now it's your turn. What does fishing mean to you? Is it the great challenge to outwit the fish, or just a handy excuse to get out there away from the rat race?

Or something else entirely?

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Being out in the open countryside

Unwinding from the daily stresses of life

Being able to see some of our most beautiful creatures that most people never see

Pandering to my hunter/gatherer instinct

Time to reflect and think about things

Sharing a moment with some special like minded friends

This is what fishing does for me and long may it continue,when i start getting wrapped up in the politics and the pressure of catching that elusive biggie at all costs i will take up golf(which is a waste of a good walk)

Kevin has got it right sometimes when i am not catching much I go down to the local pond with a whip and enjoy myself catching "bits".In fact the other day while piking I had my pole with me in the car so I wound one rod in and just sat there snatching Roach-great fun!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What fishing means to me is the distant thought that I might catch something. I don't target specimen fish, anything is fine by me.
My thoughts at the moment are to go out at the weekend, (first time in months) get myself settled in out of the wind or rain, and chill out.
It may sound strange to say chill out, as I have not been fishing for quite a while, but this is a different kind of chilling out. I will be sat there under the brolly, cup of tea in hand, and watching my surroundings. The thought of catching something might well be the furthest thing from my mind, although I will alternate my methods from time to time if nothing is happening.

Beecy

Reaction score
peace and quiet, a chance to unwind away from work, kids and women.

You can't beat being at a picturesque lake or river at dawn,flat calm, mist on the water, sun coming up behind the trees, sound of the waterbirds and the odd splash from a jumping fish - sometimes I'll just sit on me box drinking coffee for half an hour taking it all in before setting up.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have said quite often on here that I don't really care how big the fish are if I happen to catch any, and most times I do, I just get enjoyment out of fishing. For thirty five years now I have usually had the company of John Jones and before that my father whenever I've been on the bank and we have had some memorable days over the years and though John isn't quite as old as me we both, still get almost childlike enjoyment when we go fishing. Yes I like to catch fish and get a kick if I happen to catch a decent sized fish but its more to do with being there, on the river, in surroundings that, to me at least, are idyllic.

There is nothing to match a riverbank early in the morning, or that air of expectancy, the noises of nature going about its business, pigeons cooing away and later in the day the sound of distant church bells. A pint in the pub afterwards to discuss the "nearly caught fish" and planning where to go next time finishes the day off just right. Its all part of the enjoyment of fishing and its the best feeling in the world as far as I'm concerned. I have always loved it, this fishing game, and I can't envisage a day when I won't want to go fishing even if I have to get the wife to push my bath chair I will still have a dabble. That is what fishing is to me.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Graham W.
There is nothing to match a riverbank early in the morning, or that air of expectancy.
I have just started a thread on General that may be of interest to you.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Wols cooking makes the effort all worthwhile for me,

Seriously though, I find it exciting especially when you are on a water that holds the big girls.

J

john ledger

Its a way of life for me Graham having fished for 55years to be honest i dont know much else.
Being mainly a river man its getting there early and the anticipation and adrenalin that kicks in.
When i had cancer the thought of not fishing again give me another reason to fight it and have a positive outlook.
On a personal note no anti or law will ever stop me and i would be prepared to go to prison rather than stop fishing.
Dont think i can add anymore

matt

Reaction score
For me as well as all things already mentioned its a personal challenge between me and the fish. Nobody else matters its down to me to catch the fish. All other parts of my life arn't relevant just me and the fish.

Lonewolff

Reaction score
Getting back to nature, relief from the rat race, the ability to look out for wildlife/report any concerns and the nerve jangling wait for that PB.

I think that many of our rivers & lakes would be much worse off if we weren't there
to report issues or keep an eye on things.

Simon Holden

Reaction score
Escape to nicer, quieter surroundings.
Chance to see wildlife.
Doing something I love for that reason only.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with John Ledger. I have fished for over 40 years at least once a week and even on me hols I always pack a rod.
If anyone tried to prevent my going fishing I don't know how I would react but I'm sure it would not be pleasant for them.

Stuart Tranter

Reaction score
I go for many of the reasons listed above. It is definately not just about catching fish. I `m just as happy with catching a net full of Gudgeon as I am with a net full of carp. For me it is the buzz of going to a new venue and outwitting our scaly friends.

As a result of angling i also take a keen interest, as many of us do, in birds (feathered as well as not)and our little bank side furry friends and insects.

My friends and family often ask me where I learnt about a particular insect or bird and i just tell them to gat out there and enjoy it while it lasts!!

W

Wolfman Woody

A way of life....
Peace and solitude....
Being with friends and good company....
Amongst nature, seeing wildlife....

Just from the comments on this thread so far you have described something that goes far beyond a sport or pasttime.

These are the feelings of most anglers, I guess, and reach well beyond the physical. It's not just the pleasure of catching a fish, playing it, holding it. It's far beyond that.

IT'S A RELIGION.

It's something you passionately believe in. The environment and countryside is your church, nature your deity, your swim is your alter. Even as your mind contemplates the beauty of your surroundings, these are your prayers for long may they remain.

I'm not on a wind-up, this is serious for many of us have no other religion to believe in. This is IT - angling.

Consider this. When next we have a National Census and it asks "What religion ..." You put down "ANGLING" and if more than 10,000 of us do this, the government have to accept "ANGLING" as a recognised religion together with all of it's pratised activities.

No consider the proposed new laws on "religious hatred". No-one in future would be able to ask for it to be banned.

Consider that well!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When i am on the river bank (more than stillwaters) i feel at home and have returned to a place we have all lost due to what we call life. You read the acounts daily of wildlife interacting with us while were on the bank. Cautious but not really affraid.

I agree with Woody. It makes just as much sense as any other religion.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
getting away from the shit that life throws at you....just being on the river bank or lakeside for a few hours on my own or with my fishing mates....you can have a good old chin wag,a laugh and a joke,serious discussions and just fish away til your hearts content.
its been a privilage to have king fishers perch on my rods...such beautiful birds and i`ve been lucky enough to have seen red kites as well....most kids and some adults as well,wouldnt know what these creatures look like or what a water vole looks like or what a hare looks like and the majority of them will never have the enjoyment of feeding mr robin red breast pieces of worm or the odd maggott or two on a freezing winters day while on the river bank.
its things like these that really put a smile on your face and make fishing that little bit more pleasurable.
i think that unless your`e a fisherman,you`ll never really understand what its all about.
i know it means the world to me.....

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is only one problem with that Woody.
The people who count the votes might think we are all bad spellers and that we are all off Fishing Magic, and what we really mean is Anglican.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There are many side peasures to fishing, just as have been written here.

For me, fishing is all about fishing and catching fish, preferably in wild waters.

This makes it into a great adventure.

But most of all the uncertainty of it all. If I had been born in an earlier time period, I guess I would have been one of those first on the gangplank of the Mayflower, eager to sign up on the crew of the Golden Hind, or even in later years, given the chance, to do what Neil Armstrong did.

Yet angling in wild waters can give you all this. The thrill of the chase, the excitement of the kill, yet in most sorts of angling, we do not have to kill our quarry. The fact that fish are there, dark shadowy denizens of the deep that I want to catch.

The desire to catch a fish is deep within all of us, just as it was with primitive man.

Angling is also more than catching fish, it is one of the last great adventures that a man in this over-civilised society can legally take part.