Power of Perception

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Phil Hackets thread about things that are passed down through our genes braught this to mind. I think it is related but in reverse as we are loseing it.

Instinct.
This is something that we all have, but through the pasage of time, we are loseing it.
I can best describe it as that feeling when something tells you that your float is going to go under in the next second or so, and it does.

You may be walking around the lake, looking for a swim. Let us forget about watercraft for the time being, there is something else that tells you to fish here. This feeling does not happen all the time, but only now and again.
I can be sat here typing this letter, and I have to look at my mobile phone, never the house phone only the mobile, and it will start to ring within a split second.

Staying with fishing, I get this early warning of something about to happen mainly when I am float fishing, but it does happen quite often when I am quivertipping. It might be the only bite of the day, but for some strange reason I knew it was about to happen.
I honestly beieve that the power of perception is something that we all have, and that it is stronger in some people than others.
I also believe that the reason we as human beings are loseing this power is simply becaus ethat most things are done for us electronicaly today, and we have to use our own brain power less and less.

Does anybody agree? and have you ever had an early warning that something is about to happen as you are fishing?

W

Wolfman Woody

"Let us forget about watercraft for the time being, there is something else that tells you to fish here. This feeling does not happen all the time, but only now and again."

Now, odd as it may seem, but **** Walker wrote about this very thing in the late 70s. I think he must have been to see 'Star Wars' at the time as he refered to it as "the force".

He almost said the same thing, word for word. something like "You're walking along looking at the swim, using all your powers of watercraft when you come to one swim. Your experience tells you to avoid it, but soemthing inside says - fish it! You do and have a great catch."

That's the 'Force'. May it be with you!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have I had a visitation from **** Walker then?

Now you mention it Woody, Chris Yates related something similar when he caught the then record carp.

The other kind of thing that happens is that I can say or think of something, and it will actually happen. And you have just related it Woody in what **** Walker had said. I have neve read any of **** Walkers writings either.

matt

Reaction score
Tim Paisley has written about the same thing. Unfortunately in fishing it doesn't happen for me. I can usualy put those happenings down to watercraft.
What does happen is when my attention is distracted I get a bite. Be it pouring a brew or when carping having a pee. This was something Rod Hutchinson wrote about and I'm sure it happens with me.
I have on occasions predicted the house phone ringing and who's calling, to often for it to be coincidence.

beware we know what your thinking!

J

jason fisher

What does happen is when my attention is distracted I get a bite.

this phenomenon is easily explained by the fact the fish shole up, what happens is one of em sneaks right in close to the bank and as sooan as you have your hands full and attention on some thing else he shouts to his mates right then lads tuck in, thus resulting in your float disappearing, the especially vicious ones wait till youve got the cup in your crutch and flask in hand thus maximising the chances of burned nads, if they achieve this they all fall about laughing.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I think most of what we put down to sixth sense is in reality attributable to us actually picking up on subtle changes.

Part of watercraft is learning to pickup on these signals.

When I've fished a single water for at least a few hours every day for long periods of time I've found I get totally tuned in and incidents like those described become commonplace.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that could well be the answer Andy.
To be able to concentrate and tune in to our surroundings.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I have never read any of **** Walkers writings either"

That's terrible. It's like a devout Christian saying they've never read the Bible. Hang you head in shame Baz.

I work on the Murphy's Law principle. -

Of two swims to choose from I will always picked the wrong one.

If, during a day, you only get one bite it will come when someone behind asks "Had anything?" and as you look around he then says "You just missed that one."

Accepting the best possible advice could well be the worst decision of your life.

If you tinker with your gear long enough, something will break.

If there is a 50% chance of success, there is a 75% chance of failure.

Interchangeable quiver tips don't.

If you do something right and get a bite, don't worry. Things will soon get back to normal

fred hall

Reaction score
How many times have you been sat there with zero action, decided to pour a tea/coffee out of the flask and, bingo, the float goes under or the tip goes round?
Baz, I agree that the power of perception is real and we have just an inkling on how to control it. Back to the pouring a drink scenario-it has worked so often that I conclude I have a good idea WHEN to pour the drink.

G

Ged

I ahve a amte who drinks his brew and eats his sarnies on arrival at the water. Says he's missed too many bites and fish by having brews etc when fishing.
NO, he doesn't catch any more than anyone else. Sometimes less, then he gets hungry and thirsty.