Barbel Police

Ginger

Reaction score
Can anyone tell "who" or "what" are the Barbel Police.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why are you asking friend?
How many rods do you fish on the river?

Ginger

Reaction score
Hi Baz,the reason I`m asking is because in certain fishing articles i`ve read the author
refers to " The Barbel Police " but never goes on to explain who or what they are.

Most of the time I only fish one rod on the river as I like the mobile approach.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most of the time I only fish one rod on the river as I like the mobile approach.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa.
You are safe from the Barbel police (and me) then friend.
I think it was Graham our boss who invented the word barbel police.
I think it is people who condem others for useing more than one rod, and also useing bite alarms, and carp tactics when after barbel.
I don't think I am a barbel bobby, but I do think that modern day tactics are bringing the rivers into disrepute. Bivvying up etc.

Ginger

Reaction score
I certainly don`t use bite alarms on the river,but carp tactics seem to be used on most rivers nowadays.Each to their own. Thanks for taking the time to reply much appreciated.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I'm afraid that if some jumped up nonce tried to tell me how to fish for Barbel he would have extreme difficulty removing his head from 'where the sun don't shine'.

I go fishing for my pleasure and as long as I fish to the club rules any person that attempts to destroy my pleasure by imposing their made up rules upon me will face unpleasant circumstances as a result. I am not a reasonable man when angry.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think Graham, when he coined the expression, had in mind those barbel anglers who fish with very traditional methods and condemn anyone who doesn't follow likewise.

So it's spilt cane rods (no more using them for pea sticks), centrepin reels, maggots/meat/cheese pastes as bait, no high protein boilies or paste mixes, floppy hats, ill-fitting pullovers, plus fours, polished brogue shoes, Argyle socks and grow a beard.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Ginger
Baz is pulling your leg about the barbel police.
Really, they are employees of the Environment Agency whose responsibility is to promote the welfare of barbel in the rivers of the UK. They wear a uniform of a green jacket market "Barbour", thigh waders, a floppy hat and a beard. The beard is to enable them to feel "in tune" with barbel.
If you are caught on the bank putting a barbel in a keepnet you will be arrested.
Other offences do include using bolt rigs, boilies, bite alarms and bivvies.

Fishing for barbel in lakes is a serious crime too.

After your first offence you will probably be cautioned but your second offence could lead to your tackle being confiscated.
After three offences you are sentanced to a lifetime's carp fishing - on stillwaters only.

Ginger

Reaction score
Woody,Do anglers like that still exist?

Blunderer,I`ll be having a shave as soon as I get home.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing Gimp.
You say you are not a reasonable man when you are angry?

We should get on fine, because I don't listen to reason.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Woody,Do anglers like that still exist?"

One just posted above! Hi Nigel.

Well he's almost barbel police, but not quite yet.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jeff wrote: "I think Graham, when he coined the expression, had in mind those barbel anglers who fish with very traditional methods and condemn anyone who doesn't follow likewise."

Spot on Jeff, and since then the phrase has been used to describe any barbel anglers who think they know better than anyone else.

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree, DB. Nigel's a decent bloke and should never be called "Barbel Police"!

Although, he was caught salivating over Peter Jacobs' cane rod collection. I don't it would take much to push him over the edge ......

hahahah!

W

Wolfman Woody

oooops:

"I don't it would take much to push him over the edge ......"

Should read "I don't think it would take much to push him over the edge ......"

J

jason fisher

how can people still be fishing with runner bean supports when theres so much bettwer tools for the job now

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Go on a Barbel site and ask them what keepnet you would use when pole fishing for stillwater barbel.......

......you will be arrested within minutes

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I take it then that, according to the "barbel police", my 9.5ft uptide and TLD 20 loaded with 15lb braid is not acceptable.

T

Tony Rocca

Jason,
You would be mistaken in thinking that its the rod that catches the fish then, or that carbon catches then easier.
Not so.